cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install complete - No service

Lazer92
Joining in

I’ve worked in the telecoms sector for 10 years, started as an apprentice with Openreach, I’ve worked on Copper/FTTP/Ethernet and lead major programmes, so I like to think I know my stuff lol. So I had my install today 25/10/23, technician completed external works from joint box to my internal connection (No ONT - straight into my Virgin router), but to the techs surprise the router didn’t kick in. I asked him if he’d checked for light, he looked a little surprised, but said no because his light reader didn’t work…. Hmmm, he received a working light reader from a colleague near by and it was proven that there was no light to my external junction box. I questioned as to why light was not checked by the pull team upon erecting the DW, the response was it should have been. Now reading through all these forums there is a fundamental flaw with the VMO2 operating model and that’s accepting orders on a network which is neither existing or lit, from my experience I don’t understand how a network can be ‘live’ and allow customers orders without it being tested to a port on the CBT/Audited-Quality Check/Commissioned and then subsequently when the pre pull work is done if the wrong light or no light is present this should trigger a fault task and block the provision task being undertaken. There are fundamental flaws in the VMO2 processes and I don’t understand how they can even vouch for the integrity of their network if they don’t have accurate light loss readings up to a CBT. So here I am tonight, planning how I can get through a few days (probably weeks/months) working from home without service - albeit I’ve got a shiny new VMO2 router, the red flashing light is a nice new addition to the front rooms ambience.

10 REPLIES 10

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately there are some poor techs out there and what makes it worse is that few of them know anything about XGS-PON. All you can do is hope that someone a bit more clued up comes round next.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lazer92 wrote:

So here I am tonight, planning how I can get through a few days (probably weeks/months) working from home without service

Did you cancel your previous provider on the basis of the VM install date? Or have you moved into a new home and this is your first install?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank for the response, I cancelled my previous service to align with my install date (today).

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I did wonder. Considered advice on this forum is to have a period of overlap when changing ISP, providing your finances allow.

It covers you against situations such as what you unfortunately find yourself in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I can deal with delays and time without fixed line BB, but the reason I’ve brought my frustrations to these forums is to try and ascertain the operating model of VMO2 and why they would accept orders knowing those orders are essentially on non commissioned network. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It seems entirely reasonable to me to accept orders and then deal with any problems with installations. There can be any number of problems with the access network that VM or any ISP you could name will not know about at the time of ordering.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Lazer92 wrote:

I can deal with delays and time without fixed line BB, but the reason I’ve brought my frustrations to these forums is to try and ascertain the operating model of VMO2 and why they would accept orders knowing those orders are essentially on non commissioned network. 

VM has outsourced so many of its business functions that it regularly fails to function as a single business and complete the basic day-to-day tasks that might be expected of it.

Whatever contractual arrangements exist between VM and its installation sub-contractors, the main driver, over all others, seems to be minimising cost. Hence you get technicians turning up who have no clue about how to do the job they have been tasked with and lacking basic tools or test equipment for the work.

In this cut-price arrangement, there seems to be no direct communication or order management links between the sub-contractor and VM. In countless topics on here we read of installation work being tasked to the sub-contractor and, after that, VM has no detailed knowledge at all of how the job is progressing or what stages have been completed.

There are regular stories of VM tech's turning up to install equipment when no cable has been laid to the property and some describe this happening several times on the same job.

Conversely, some customers are left with a cable installed and ready outside but VM will not send out a tech to install the equipment because VM doesn't know the cable is in place.

Given all of the above, it isn't too surprising that quality control (such as making sure a connection can carry a signal before putting it into use) isn't too high on the agenda.

Having said all that about VM, I can think of many past situations when Openreach has matched, or beaten, any bungling and chaos that VM could come up with so I'm not sure that Openreach is a particular beacon of excellence either for getting it right all the time and every time!

A lot of the time, for both VM and Openreach, it is the skills, knowledge, abilities, attitude and interest of the individual person who turns up to do the work which determines how the job turns out.

With the greatest of respect Roger_Gooner, I appreciate minor issues which could be rectified within 24/48 hours of an install/provision/L2C job but these are not minor issues which are stopping installs proceeding these are the basic fundamentals, virgin should not be selling service to customers on a network which is not lit (this is clearly happening) and more fanciful they are clearly allowing people to order when they don’t have network even feeding their DP whether that be OH or UG. If there are to be issues with provisions too, then VMO2 should be skilling their resource to fix said issues, if the network is in place E2E then light should be able to fixed on the day, it shouldn’t take ‘days’ to fix this. 

I agree somewhat goslow, I fully understand OR are not innocent but they do a better job than this at a much larger scale, albeit there are lessons to be learned by both orgs. But when my installer (anecdotally) says he is failing 6/10 installs he attends, due to network issues then I think VMO2 are clearly getting something major wrong.