cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instagram issues While On Wifi

anoopm2412
Tuning in

Hi, 

I’m currently on Virgin media fibre optic internet on 100mbps plan. But, the problem is everytime when i try instagram , the app is really slow that it won’t even open videos and posts. All other websites and app works completely ok. The speed when i checked is showing 108mbps. When i change to the Mobile data, then it start working perfectly without even a single connectivity issue. It’s clearly indicating a broadband issue for some of the social media apps. Please someone recommend a solution. Thanks Anoop

88 REPLIES 88

I've had the same issues with my instagram app. I'm with ID and my phone wasn't loading instagram. My phone updated to include 'WIFI Calling' at all times. I've turned it off and instagram seems to be loading fine now.

HiddeNAttacK
Tuning in

Just turned the firewall off from hub settings and I think it's resolved my instagram issues. 

Aramsay1202
Tuning in

Hi

I have also got this issue with virgin! I thought it was our WiFi connection (newly installed) but looks like a lot of people have this issue: what a joke that nothing has been done yet? I keep switching to 4G and the app works fine but it’s meant that I’ve had an extra data bill as I’ve been running out of data.

i don’t really appreciate or understand why I should pay over £100 for tv and broadband for something so simple to not work? I wonder if I would have this issue with sky.

I've tried everything - happen to know a few people at Facebook who have also done a little (very little, mind you!) digging for me. They see me connecting from my home IP across their network (Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram) so the connection to them isn't the issue, it's something Virgin's doing with the routing or attempted caching of the sites to speed access up though caching or some CDN on their network. Isn't the ISP's job to do that, is down to the service itself to offer these - Facebook has various PoPs across the UK so again, no reason for Virgin's network to fail to connect over the app.

Why has no one from Virgin even commented on this thread yet?

My home setup does not use the built-in wifi, that's off as Routers were never designed (and still aren't) to handle all the tasks ISPs assign them - we have a pro-wireless setup in the house; UPnP is on for testing now but it would make sense for Virgin to just confirm what their issue is.

LeoC123
Joining in

We have exactly the same on our virgin media router. When loading Instagram the app doesn’t work at all, really slow to download or upload. Everything else works like Facebook, Pinterest, Amazon and netflix. Drop WiFi and Instagram loads instantly.

Interestingly, turning the firewall off does resolve the issue which appears to stay resolved some time after turning it back on again...

This issue occurs on iOS, MacOS (wired and wi-fi) and Windows PC (wired)

musictechguy
On our wavelength

This is affecting me too. Instagram videos not playing on Virgin WiFi. As soon as I go to mobile data it works. 

Virgin are throttling Instagram traffic

a_munj
Joining in

Hi,

I have been experiencing issues using Instagram on Virgin media's wifi. When using 4G or wifi other than my own it works fine but when connected to my home wifi pages do not refresh, posts do not load and videos buffer. Multiple devices are affected. 

How can this be fixed?

I have the same issue. This is unacceptable. Virgin Media is traffic-shaping and throttling Instagram. The proof is that using a VPN makes Instagram fine. 

Doing some digging it looks like the Instagram app uses some pretty non-standard ports (7713-7716 TCP/UDP) which if this is the cause of the media load issues I'd say the router is doing it's job perfectly in it's Firewall duties. Would also explain why disabling the firewall would fix the problem.

Would also explain why a VPN works fine (as the data is being tunnelled through open normal VPN ports).

Head to your Hub (192.168.0.1 is the default)

Advanced Settings > IP and Port Forwarding > 'Create a new rule'

Protocol 'TCP/UDP'

Source IP address 'ALL' (Or if you want to be more secure, find the IP the instagram app is requesting the content from)

Destination IP address 'ALL'

Source Port Range [7113] to [7116]

Destination Port Range [7113] to [7116]

This should only be done if you trust these ports are correct as you are punching a hole in your firewall on some ports given to you by a random guy on the internet - confirming ports would be up to Instagram to do, not really Virgin's issue here if this is the cause.

I've done some testing on my Hub 3.0 and seems to have fixed our Insta-woes! But let me know if I'm completely wrong.