cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instagram and Facebook not loading pictures on wifi - wifi working

rlw1986
Tuning in

Hi

For the last 4 days I cannot see any pictures / load newsfeed on wall on Instagram or Facebook when on Wifi.

I have checked the wifi and all seems to be correct and working. I can go on all other websites / apps / stream tv and music using the wifi. The issue seems to be just wifi on Instagram and Facebook (and just noticed some YouTube). I would note that when I turn wifi off and use my mobile data , Instagram and Facebook work fine so that’s what is making me think it’s our wifi. The same is happening on my husbands phone and my kindle tablet. 

so far I’ve done all troubleshooting online - turned off router, reset router, cleared history and cache, updated Instagram and Facebook apps, deleted and reinstalled applications. Still experiencing same issues not being able to use Instagram and Facebook. 

Any help appreciated

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi thanks for the response. I am in the North East/North Yorkshire area near Middlesbrough. I don't use Virgin TV so can't say whether that is affected.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

43 REPLIES 43

rlw1986
Tuning in

Hi 

my wifi is working fine for everything but for some reason Instagram won’t load photos, just captions. 
Any help appreciated been going on 5 days and Virgin are still looking into it 

tom1432
Tuning in

Certain websites/apps such as YouTube/Instagram/Facebook are unusably slow on both WiFi and Ethernet. Speed tests are normal and everything else is working fine. Connecting to a VPN solves the issue. Has been ongoing for around a week.

Think I have a similar issue. Does youtube work for you? For me youtube is also very slow. Don't know a permanent fix but for me connecting to a VPN seems to fix it.

Hi tom

Yeh I noticed this morning with YouTube it either doesn’t load or takes absolutely forever. 

im having the same issues on Instagram on Facebook too. I can see newsfeed and captions - can post and receive messages etc but the pictures are grey.(and pictures are what it’s mainly for!)

what’s the VPN? I’ve been worried incase it stops the security or something 

Yeah this sounds the same as what I have. VPNs are Virtual Private Networks, they pretty much just let you access the internet via their network and as long as you use a legitimate one there would be no problem. For example I am using ExpressVPN and whilst using it this problem goes away. A lot of VPNs have free trials so you could give them a try and see if it solves the problem for you, but it is not a permanent solution.

I might have a look into it see if it helps. But you are right it’s not a permanent fix virgin should be helping I’ve been on the phone twice and last time they said they are raising an order for someone to call and sort it that was yesterday not heard back yet. 
My husband manages to use his wifi at work and instagram / Facebook and YouTube are working fine there it’s just on our home wifi. I can’t think why though we haven’t changed anything 

J-ha
Joining in

Recently moved flat, have taken successfully set up virgin hub. internet speed tests are fast, zoom/teams meetings are all ok however certain a types of data are taking long to load/don’t load at all e.g YouTube, Instagram pictures. 

This issue occurs on several different devices. 

I have restarted and reset the hub, disconnected all devices and reconnected, re-download apps etc.

this issue has been ever since we moved - 4 weeks ago.

When using mobile data (if on phone) everything loads fine.

how do I solve this issue - in the previous flat with same virgin hub this was not a problem.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @rlw1986,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having trying to load pictures over social media applications.

Have you been able to resolve this issue since you last posted or is this still an ongoing issue?

Regards,

Steven_L

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @J-ha  and @rlw1986 and @tom1432 

I've merged your posts together  as the three of you seem to be suffering from the same issue, ie facebook, Instagram and you tube problems

Please could you roughly state the region you are in, for example Bradford, or Liclon, or West Yorkshire, as your issues may be localised.

Also, if you have TV with VM, do you have any problems with youtube on the VM set top box?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali