cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredibly slow internet speed!

gham53
Joining in

I've had the hub 4 for a few years now and the speed has always been a bit slow and I had to buy a wifi extender to get wifi in my backyard and attic (i live in a small terraced house) I had always used the wifi for basic internet use and streaming so i didn't notice the speed too often but I have recently got a ps5 and the lag is unbearable. It's nearly impossible to play an online game and the ping is sometimes over 100! I recently upgraded to 500mb internet and if anything my speed has got worse. I have seen there is a hub 5 now and wondered if that is something i could have? I had thought about getting an internet modem but i thought i shouldnt need to spend extra money when the virgin media router should be doing the job for me in the first place. 

Can anyone advise me on how to get the new hub 5 to see if that improves my speeds. The Hub 3 was brilliant with signal strength and for some reason the Hub 4 is worse. 

4 REPLIES 4

g0akc
Problem sorter

So, this appears to be a WiFi issue.  Are wired (Ethernet) connection speeds okay?

You can't get your own 'internet modem' since you need to use the VM hub as the cable modem (and many 'routers' on the market are not suitable for VM connections) - but you can get your own better WiFi kit.  A mesh system may be the best solution.  You can grumble that VM should provide it as much as you like... 

You could go with the Virgin WiFi Max but would need to pay extra each month for PODs.

You can try and see if VM will let you have a hub 5, which may be better for you (though that may depend on your devices) although they are being mainly targeted at those customers on the fastest/most expensive packages.

I would also look at using wired (Ethernet) connections where possible, especially for gaming, even if that means running an Ethernet cable to another part of the house.  

Further, use a WiFi analyser app (free) to check the WiFi in your neighbourhood and try optimising that.  Change channels to avoid clashes with neighbours and so on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gham53 thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

There aren't any issues at the time of writing, but how are things via a wired connection which echoes the thoughts of @g0akc? The fastest speeds are available via ethernet and generally that is what gets the best performance when gaming.

Please try that and let us know how things get on.
Many thanks

Tom_W

Wired speeds are fine it's just the strength of the router that's the issue. I'm having to rely on a wifi extender to get wifi 10 metres away from the hub 4 and the speed drops significantly. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you thought about powerline adapters? As much as I dislike them, they do offer a solution to users who can’t have a properly wired connection. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks