Menu
londonrover
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent wifi speeds across devices

I have the 108mbps fibre package with a hub 3.0 but I am getting very inconsistent speeds across devices.

My connections to the hub are (all are connected to the 5 Ghz channel except where mentioned):

iPhone 12 - 110mbps

iPhone 8 - 110mbps

Samsung tablet (2018) - 98mbps

Sony Xperia phone (2018) - 50mbps (often way lower)

Firestick (2020 release) - max 48 mbps

HP laptop (2012) - between 30-40 mbps (2.4Ghz wifi channel) and 60-69 mbps (ethernet)

I can't work out why these speeds are so varying - and why the wired connection to my laptop is so slow. What is odd is that the iPhones are getting absolute max speed.

I have changed the 5Ghz connection channel to 36, renamed both the 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies and re-connected each device separately. I have restarted the hub, uninstalled and reinstalled latest networking firmware on my laptop and even run a BIOS update. All the items have been tested in the same room as the hub but the speeds vary massively.

According to the hub settings all of my connected devices are connected to the 5Ghz frequency except for the HP laptop (2.4Ghz (wifi card too old) or ethernet).

I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem and wonder if anyone has any experience of this or any advice?

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent wifi speeds across devices

• Use a Wi-Fi analyser app to see if there's any neighbouring hub/AP on ch 36   (why did you choose that channel?).
  • Try a different channel.
  • Devices can vary regardless - particularly if there's any incompatibility between wireless chipsets/drivers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
londonrover
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I switched the 5Ghz channel from auto to 36 on the basis of numerous advices. It worked for most devices as some that were only picking up the 2.4Ghz channel now switched to the 5Ghz. Speed didn't increase though. Other channels make no difference.

It's also odd that the cable can only supply up to 69mbps but the iPhones can get 110mbps on wifi via channel 36. Very strange goings on.  

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@londonrover wrote:

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I switched the 5Ghz channel from auto to 36 on the basis of numerous advices. It worked for most devices as some that were only picking up the 2.4Ghz channel now switched to the 5Ghz. Speed didn't increase though. Other channels make no difference.

It's also odd that the cable can only supply up to 69mbps but the iPhones can get 110mbps on wifi via channel 36. Very strange goings on.  

Try a channel other than 36 - that will be 'popular' with other hubs

The 2012 laptop is relatively old and is probably limited to that speed on its ethernet card, Wi-Fi adapter and processing power

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos