Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

In coming cable - re-route of modem

Hi Community, 

I've got round to repositioning my modem, due to one half of the house not be able to get a good WiFi connection.

I decided to move it to the middle of the house just on the back wall as you go up the stairs.

I purchased some cable from amazon suitable for the job (so I thought) see link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IHJH9OK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kjUMFbZCKJQW5?psc=1 

Now that I have it connected my routers WiFi keeps dropping out. I get the yellow/white power light on the front. This stays on and never goes out went the modems WiFi drops out. Items connected to the Ethernet ports are still accessible I.e. the Hive is still accessible over the 4G network on my phone when asking for heat.

I've connected it back to the existing cable where the connection on the WiFi holds. But I'm still have issue with the WiFi at one end of the house.

Could anyone advise on the type of cable I've used, if its the correct type. Other checks that I might be able to try.

Screenshot_20201029-153220_WhatsApp.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: In coming cable - re-route of modem

You can’t use third party coax cable. You need to have a VM engineer come out and move the hub and re-run the cable and check all the levels etc. are correct.

Using your own sourced cables could lead to issues being fed back down the line to the cab and effecting other users.

The cost for this is £99. 

The other option is to run some Ethernet cables and install some wireless access points where needed.  

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: In coming cable - re-route of modem

As Gary says - ditch the tat co-ax and get VM to do the job properly - or get your own better quality wireless equipment. As well as the WAP's Gary suggests (best solution) look at a Mesh system to avoid running ethernet cables - they work equally well for most users

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos