Menu
dermotM
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

If input Hub 3 into modem mode do I lose firewall

I’ve added a Linksys Velop system to my home and at the moment I have connected it to one of the Hub 3 Ethernet ports. So currently two networks in parallel with the Velop mesh network having double Nat. I was wanting to turn off the Virginn Wi-Fi network and use the Hub 3 in modem mode and thus get rid of the double Nat issue. However I am concerned that the Velop Router doesn’t implement any Firewall functionality. If I place the Hub3 in model mode does that mean I lose the Hub 3 Firewall. If so does anyone know how to overcome that. I have seen some posts that indicate people have implemented the Velop Mesh network by putting the Hub3 in modem mode. How have they maintained security if the Hub 3 in modem mode turns off its firewall functionality 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: If input Hub 3 into modem mode do I lose firewall

Yes, the hub would no longer provide any sort of firewall in modem mode - it passes that responsibility on to whatever router you're using.. in your case, the velop primary node effectively becomes the NAT device / firewall for the entire network.. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: If input Hub 3 into modem mode do I lose firewall

The hubs firewall was unless anyway.

Linksys Velop will do NAT that acks like a firewall anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos