Menu
tim126
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

IPAddress

My IP address has for some been 192.168. etc and a number of devices such as my Brennan B2 are linked to this. However, the IP Address listed in my "Settings" on my Laptop is 86.6. etc. I am having difficulty in getting the Now TV App. to work on my TV and in Maps I am being located near Coventry whereas I am actually in Surrey. Has anybody any thoughts how I can remedy this. I've tried ringing Virgin Media but the wait times are very long and the "Help" link sent to my mobile will not address this problem.

Anybody got any thoughts?

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: IPAddress

192.168.... is a LAN address and what comes out of a router

the 86.6.... Looks like a WAN address.

What is your connection setup?

ie. Wall socket --> Hub --> own router --> device (wired/wireless)
or Wall socket --> Hub --> device (wired / wireless)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I do believe that you have some confusion the 192.168.x.x number is your internal network, where as the 86.6.x.x IP address is your WAN External IP address that link to your router.

Make sure that the Laptop is set to get the IP address automatically from your hub, is you hub running in modem mode i.e. red/magenta light on the base of hub, or in router mode where the light on the hub should be white.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you've used  a site such as https://whatismyipaddress.com/ to check your ip and location then you can ask them to update their database with the correct location

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tim126
Just joined
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mike, Excuse the ignorance but what is the difference between LAN and WAN. The Router shows a white light on the front. I have a smart TV and I cannot connect to NOW TV although my phone will connect with it. When I check the settings on the TV it sometimes tells me I'm connected to Internet and on other occasions not. I will get on to Samsung help to try and sort that. in the settings on the TV it shows the 192.xx.xx number as the IP address.

Any further thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

LAN = Local Area Network - These are the addresses handed out by your router (hub) to any device that connects to it (if it is configured to get an address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)

WAN = Wide Area Network - This address is given to you by Virgin Media as your hub is just another client on their network (in the same way a laptop is on your home network)

Each client needs to have its own address to uniquely identify it on the network where it is located.

When your laptop connects to the internet, it gets a local address (192.168....) your router then maps this to the WAN address (86.6....) and the website / service you connect to only sees the WAN address

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos