Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

IP lease

Hi,

Does anyone from Virgin work within these boards? 

I'd like someone to change my IP either to dynamic or not in a similar range to what I currently am in (82.!.!.!).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IP lease

It is dynamic (assuming a residential rather than business connection), but the leases are cached. Unplug it overnight and fire it up again in the morning, see if you get a new address, if not, unplug it again but leave it longer - I’d suggest 12h. 

You’re not gonna be able to request a specific change to the subnet, you’ll get what you’re given.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Put hub in modem mode will get you a new IP.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I tried switching it off overnight last night and ended up with the same IP which I got on Friday when my issues started. 

I'll switch it off tonight and leave it off until I get home from work tomorrow, see if that helps. 

For the other response, my issue is with DirectAccess not working and putting it in Modem mode with another router attached didn't help me, but I know it has helped others we have suggested it to. I'll give that a go just for the IP change theory though and see if that helps, I guess I could keep doing it until my I get a successful DirectAccess connection haha. 

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf wrote:

It is dynamic (assuming a residential rather than business connection), but the leases are cached. Unplug it overnight and fire it up again in the morning, see if you get a new address, if not, unplug it again but leave it longer - I’d suggest 12h. 

You’re not gonna be able to request a specific change to the subnet, you’ll get what you’re given.

Leaving the router off overnight doesn't alter your IP address.  They're sticky and you're attached to them for around 3 years.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure I should trust the opinion of someone that's half asleep........... 😂

On a serious note, thanks for taking the time to reply. If as you say it does not work, I will spend a few hours tomorrow night on hold to Virgin and see if they can offer any assistance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

@tehwolf wrote:

Leaving the router off overnight doesn't alter your IP address.  They're sticky and you're attached to them for around 3 years.

That is not my experience.

two power outages of the course of five days, whilst away from home (which  left my router off for ~24 hours each time)  resulted in two new addresses being issued.

no one is gonna configure dhcp leases with a 3year lease time. 

I suspect that the likelihood of being issued a new address, and the duration that you need to be offline, is also linked to how busy your network segment is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They won’t give you a new IP.

Why do you want one?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos