cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP adresss issues

KevinB66
Tuning in

Hi, have Hub 5 , new connection installed in Nov 22. I am now stressed out with the wifi....they have changed my hub, asked me to remove powerline wifi extenders, and now...every 3 weeks , the net drops out...reason-  " could not obtain IP adress."..no mob phone , computers or any smart gadets can connect. Two wifi enabled camera's can only connect, but none of other devices. TV , Phone and ethernet on the hub 5  are okay.... Any reason for this and possible solutions?  I was with BT for 20 years, no such issues...regretting the day I switched to Virgin. Got another 12 months on the contract.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode and we have various bits of kit including 4 TP Link Powerline adaptors.

Purists curse the PLCs but they are good at being convenient where connectivity is required and flat out speed is not important (TVs & Printers).

If a Hub 5 is dispatched to us, we will buy a 3rd Party router.  Engaging with Hub 5's WiFi and DHCP issues is not on our agenda.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

"could not obtain IP address"

This sounds like the Hub 5's DHCP server failure defect.

The Hub 5 has a range of known issues and it may only be fit for use as a Modem for use with a 3rd party Router.

Hi, thanks for your reply...when things go bad, the ethernet ports also go down @times...maybe it is a server issue? 

New connection installed in Nov 22, Hub 5 . The Hub was replaced in Feb 23...still same identical issues...

I was asked to remove third party wifi power extenders as they could be the problem...if I install my own router via the modem mode, then i will be told problem is with third party devices. 

I have Develo powerline adapters  and they worked fine with BT.

Any thing else I can do? 

Thanks

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode and we have various bits of kit including 4 TP Link Powerline adaptors.

Purists curse the PLCs but they are good at being convenient where connectivity is required and flat out speed is not important (TVs & Printers).

If a Hub 5 is dispatched to us, we will buy a 3rd Party router.  Engaging with Hub 5's WiFi and DHCP issues is not on our agenda.

BenjyBoo
Tuning in

Did you find a solution to the DHCP fault? I'm having the same problem with Hub 5.

BenjyBoo
Tuning in

Hi,

Did you find a solution?

Hi..Router changed twice...there was a fault in one of them, other was ok...now on third router. This one also having same issues if there are many devices on wifi..there was no problem with BT.

At present I have  half my devices on Guest network ( it works on  frequency  band 2.4Ghz) and other half on main network ( 5 & 2.4 Ghz). Both network set to auto on the channel selection. By sharing the load...somehow kept afloat for last two months.

Don't know if this will last long. Power line plugs also are not compatible with hub 5...but are ok with Hub 3, i believe. Hub 3  is available from Ebay for  about £35-40. If this Router messes up again....will switch to Hub 3. 

I have 10 months remaining on my contract...if things get messy again...back to BT.

Another action that has calmed things down , I have not given custom IDs to the networks, keeping original ID as given on the Hub...for both main and guest network. [VM858×××× and VM-guest858xxxx]. This has also helped in resolving the issue.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@KevinB66 wrote:

Hub 3  is available from Ebay for  about £35-40. If this Router messes up again....will switch to Hub 3. 

Nice door stop! just put hub in modem mode and get a better 3rd party router with 1Gb ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Save your money on any hub from eBay. It would require activating against your account by VM and VM won't do this for any hub they do not supply.

Yeah, another option..Thanks