forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
sikey
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

IP address allocated is from the guest list not the main list on my laptop

The IP address allocated by my Hub 3 is from the guest list not the main list on my laptop, ie 192.168.1.xxx range. I am unable to connect to the Internet and use the WiFi on my Deco mesh. 

What is causing the Hub 3 to allocate the incorrect IP addess and how can I resolve this?

I have a hub 3, which i have already reset. This is in router mode,  with the wifi turned off, guest mode is also off.  I have a Deco mesh in access point mode. The IP Address range on this is 192.168.0.xxx

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP address allocated is from the guest list not the main list on my laptop

I'm guessing there's some sort of DHCP conflict going on - with the mesh giving out an IP address to the laptop (why it's in that range I don't know).  There appear to be a few reports like this on the web - e.g.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/155575

You could take various steps to investigate further, including grabbing traces if you have the skills.  As a simple check I'd try;

• Assign an IP address to the laptop manually (say 192.168.0.30) - in the network adapter settings - with suitable subnet mask for what you want to try - then see if you can access the internet - put back to auto when done
  • Reset (power cycle) everything paying attention to boot up sequence
  • Check the Virgin hub factory reset has been done correctly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Put the hub into modem mode and use the deco system as a router

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Agree with Gary,  Why go the expense of a Mesh system and use the Hub as a Router? 

Stick the Hub in Modem mode and use the Mesh for everything else.

0 Kudos
sikey
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had that setup, but the Hub 3 crashed and i couldn't get the Deco mesh to reconnect. So i tried in access mode, but today the laptop won't connect properly. Phone, tablet, tv all connected ok though.

I'd like to use the mesh as the router but it's a pain in the a## to setup. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's easy.

Put the hub into modem mode and power it off.

Set the Mesh up in router mode with DHCP set to Dynamic/Automatic.

Power on the hub only. Wait 5.

Connect the mesh node to the hub and power on. Wait 5.

Job done.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi