forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
xsooonta
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

IP Address is not changing and ‘Weak Security’

1. I have suffered from a DDoS attack and i am unable to change my IPv4 Address even after turning off for a lot of hours.

1. I’m also being shown a message when i try to connect to my network from the phone in settings saying ‘Weak Security’ and my WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP Address is not changing

see this thread.. 

in short - not easily/quickly.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

you can't change the ip unless you switch to modem mode
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The weak security issue can be addressed by following the instructions in this post

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Assuming you're correct, and not mis-reading the effects of VM's current over-utilisation problems (what does a BQM show?), then the simplest and most reliable way to change IP address is to buy your own wifi gear and put the hub in modem mode.  But that gets you a one one-off change of IP address, the new one will be equally "sticky" and if you have been DOS'd then chances are you'll become a target again because something you're doing is annoying somebody else enough for them to want to DOS you.  And since you probably have an established user name, even with a fresh IP address, they'll soon spot that "TiptonGamingWarriorGod" is back online (or whatever your user name is).

If you want to really sort out DOS problems, you need to subscribe to a gaming grade VPN, such as Nord VPN or Express VPN.  A long term contract will be around £3-6 a month. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/How-to-reset-my-IP/m-p/4614802

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos