Menu
squall-loire
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ICMP Echo Option Removed?

Like many people, I use BQM graphs from ThinkBroadband to monitor my connection quality using ICMP echo requests. As of around midday Saturday, these graphs have turned entirely red (despite still being pointed at the correct IP), and the option to respond to WAN ping requests is entirely missing from the router settings.

Why was this removed, and can we expect to regain this functionality?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: ICMP Echo Option Removed?

Are you using the hub in router mode?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's never been an option in any of the newer hubs (the Hub3 and Hub4) - it's always on by default.

Reboot the hub and see if it starts responding again and also check that that WAN IP is still the same and hasn't changed.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The hub has a bug that drops ping requests for some length of time.

So if you what a good BQM get your own router use hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
squall-loire
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Weird, I could've sworn I remembered manually setting that option. Been with VM for a while though so perhaps I was remembering the SuperHub2 I had previously.

I have reset the router now (was reluctant to do so because I was busy and the SH3 takes a ridiculously long time to reboot), and the BQM has indeed started showing data again, thank you. Normally that would've been my first instinct after checking the WAN address, but I was absolutely convinced that option had been there and have never had the BQM cut out like that before except with the aforementioned WAN IP changes. 

Thanks to all for responding 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good stuff.

And yes it was an option on the 2 and 2ac I believe.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos