forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
itsanotherdave
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I want a more capable router, where to start ?

So as many VM customers, I'm having wifi issues. My connection when it's running is great, but due to WIFI issues, the connection is too intermittent for me to work efficiently.

After reading threads and replies and looking around I've realized the only way to solve it is to invest in a router and put the hub in modem mode. So this is what I'm wanting to do, I don't mind buying my own, I realize that VM provide mass market not necessarily quality equipment.

--

My issue is I have no idea where to start, is there an idiots guide and some recommended router to buy? The first youtube tutorial video I watched had loads of comments to say 'this just broke my internet' or 'did not work' 

There must be a standard router / setup that is recommended and works and is easy just to plug in and start working? 

--

These are the issues btw.. Most of these devices are in same room as the hub;which is set up in an open space

8The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
9The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
10The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
11The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
12The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
13Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: I want a more capable router, where to start ?

Could you describe your property size and construction, how many devices, how many users, otherwise your question is a bit "how long's a piece of string?"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I like the D-Link routers.   The DIR-1960 gets good reviews and offers good Wi-Fi performance (though actual range/speed in different rooms will depend on the construction of your house etc.).  It's available for just over £100.

But - as already mentioned - it depends on your requirements and type of property.  Some places would be better off with a mesh system and so on.

I bought my D-Link router second hand, which saved a load of money - but less warranty etc. - that's up to you.  There are loads of good routers on the market and others on here will have their favourites.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Your budget as to how much you want to spend here is mid end router
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Armor-Multi-Gigabit-AC2600-Router/dp/B08KGSQWTT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos