Menu
itreallydoes
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I need to disconnect and reconnect to wifi multiple times a day on multiple devices

Several devices around the home will show as 'no internet connection' despite being connected to the wifi. To get signal back I have to turn wifi off and on again on these devices to get the signal to come through.

Laptops seem to be OK, but this happens on several Android phones as well as our LG Smart TV. Our Google Nest hubs drop on and off when streaming Spotify stuff too. They always show as connected to the Wifi but (in the case of android phones) with the exclamation-mark wifi (so, connected to wifi but no internet connection).

Rebooting the hub doesn't seem to make any difference. It's getting to the point where we're thinking of just switching providers altogether (coupled with the issue of OnDemand often failing on our V6 box, but that's a different problem)

Looking over the network logs I see a lot of these issues, which i don't really understand (google just brings me to this forum):

• Critical: SYNC Timing Synchronization failure
  • Warning: RCS Partial Service

This is all on a Hub 3.0

What else should I do to ensure we don't need to keep disconnecting and reconnecting our devices?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I need to disconnect and reconnect to wifi multiple times a day on multiple devices

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

If wired connections are all fine then, on a Hub3, try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)— that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
itreallydoes
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need to disconnect and reconnect to wifi multiple times a day on multiple devices

Thanks for the info.

The lights on the hub never change from single white 'power on' light. Nothing flashing or suggesting any issues.

I've made the amends you suggest so will monitor and see how it gets on over the next week.

0 Kudos
itreallydoes
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well, it's been a week since making the changes suggested here and I've had no loss of internet connection on the devices at all, so I'm going to go ahead and say yes, this was the problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @itreallydoes

Great to hear you've had no further issues! Please do let us know how you get on.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos