Menu
DunderMifflin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I need to boost my Wifi signal with a booster or pod

My wifi signal doesn't reach the other side of my flat. 

I have tried all the various trouble shooting on the website and apps. I have spent 2 hours on hold to customer service for the line just to drop. 

I think I just need a Wifi boost or Pod but can't find out how to get one.

The VirginMedia twitter said to post on here and one of the customer care team would be in touch, so here we go!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need to boost my Wifi signal with a booster or pod

VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying.

Otherwise you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off the cost of buying a "better" solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

Are your ethernet cable connections ok? Also what Hub model do you have? If a Hub3 then you can improve its performance by switching off channel optimisation and separating the 2.4/5 GHz bands by renaming their SSID's - see if that helps first

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
DunderMifflin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for your help, very insightful.

I’ve got the Hub4 and the 5GHz travels further than the 2.4 - neither are great.

I’d be keen for the pod and need to figure out what plan I’m on. The signal has been rubbish since I moved to virgin and their customer service is so terrible I feel it would be reasonable for them to provide a complementary “booster”. I didn’t have an issue with Sky.

Do you have any recommendations for other power links?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would never recommend a powerlink/booster/extender to anyone.

Best solution is to get your own wireless access point or dump the Hub wifi altogether and get a wireless router or Mesh system - depending on your flat size, layout, construction materials.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
DunderMifflin
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Interesting - do you know how a WAP would work alongside my Hub 4? It's not something I've ever looked into before.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A WAP wired into the Hub4 by ethernet cable should work very well and you can leave the Hub4 in router mode if that's what you want to do.

--------------------
John
--------------------

DunderMifflin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, John.

I actually already have a long ethernet cable running from the dead-zone to near the hub so should be easy enough to install. Can you recommend any models please? I don't need anything amazing as the internet would only be used for phone and alexa use.
0 Kudos