cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to book an engineer

NiamhD47
Tuning in

We do not have a virgin cable connection to our house. When the original engineer came to set up our wifi he used our neighbours connection as a temporary fix and said we could book another engineer to connect us properly. However, we have been unable to do this and our wifi connection is shocking. I’m constantly dropping work calls and it is becoming impossible to work from home when it’s my only option. I have tried several times to book an engineer to fix our issue but am constantly told that we can’t. Please can someone help me! 

8 REPLIES 8

lotharmat
Community elder
Do you mean he split the connection at the brown Omnibox?

Do you get the same dropped calls on an ethernet connection?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Yes the connection was split in our neighbours brown box. We do not actually have a brown box.

Which I understand to mean we are not directly connected to the main virgin media cable, but instead through our neighbours who then are directly connected to the main cable. And therefore will make our connection worse. Is this correct?

Using the Ethernet does improve the connection slightly but I do still have regular drop outs. 

It *can* - some have been that way for years with no issues though!

What do the lights on the hub show when these drops happen?

The hub lights don’t change colour as far as I know but they are permanently yellow. 

That's odd - I'd expect the lights to be flashing if the whole connection drops - Wifi - Not necessarily but if the hub loses connection to the CMTS - the power light at least tends to start flashing!

Is there anything you can do to resolve the issue? Or arrange for an engineer to come and have a look? 

is the fact that the light is always yellow an issue?

I can't - I'm just a VM customer too.

Forum staff do pick these up but it can take a day or so - In fairness: They are so much better than the call-centre staff who will likely just run through a script and then hang up..

Good Morning NiamhD47,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

I can look into this for you to see if we can have the installation altered for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for my private message

I would advise that we're currently experiencing some network congestion in you local area that is running until 23/07/21.

Hopefully this can be cleared up as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn