Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I need an Engineer visit please

I had Virgin Broadband installed a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately WiFi only gets to half of the house. I think I need the Box moved and an extender.

I convinced my family to move to Virgin for a great WiFi experience. Now we have only 50% coverage in the house, and my family are looking at me in a strange new way. I think they are having 'dark thoughts'. I was a hero, now I am doomed, please send an engineer soon, this is scary!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I need an Engineer visit please

not something a tech will do - well not for free [usually] poor wifi coverage is possible as the hub is not the best thing for wifi and its down to you to solve - you can get free extenders [boosters] on certain packages - the app should tell you that - but afaik its only the top packages - you can order them for a cost of about £3 or £4 a month - there are far better options 

so moving the hub will be classed as a non fault call out and cost you £99

have you split the wifi bands and turned off smart wifi - if not then thats the first step - if that does not help then modem mode and a decent wifi router [at your cost] or a mesh system - again at your cost is a better spend than boosters

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cheers Tony I will try out your suggestions - I was hoping that they would change the location for free as it was only just installed - ah well. Thanks for the response. I'll let you know what, if anything, makes a difference, when I try your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

if it was a self install then they may move it for free - afaik at the moment they will not come out to a working system as yours is but you could push once things are back to normal

further [again] afaik tech installs are done at the most simple level no wiring round the house etc - so if it was done like that you should be able to get it moved for free

finally - if they insisted that they put the hub where they wanted rather than somewhere you asked then again you could push to get it moved at some later date

if any of the above are true then come back here and see if VM will do something now or will do it at a later date - you can ring but they will add the £99 i would guess

Tony
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good advice as usual from Tony... but I feel compelled to add that... assuming your wired connections are all ok (so there are no underying network connection issues) - if you want good all around home wifi coverage I fear that moving the Hub and getting the boosters may not solve all the problems (but may do of course!).
So it might be worth just considering the alternative that so may of us on here prefer, which is, to ditch the wifi from the Hub and get your own better quality wireless equipmet. There are several options you can consider to suit all budgets - depending on requirements.
Worth starting a bit of "research" 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Tony. I've tried your first steps - you reminded me of the importance of starting at the beginning. As you no doubt anticipated, there was no improvement. I believe your matrix suggestion is likely to be the most effective solution but, like most people, I wanted to avoid extra cost. Sometimes that is not possible, and I think this is one of those times. Thanks for your help, really appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am really impressed by the support available here. Once again I find myself thanking a stranger - awesome. After some research, I think I'm going to try the matrix route. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I received my internet pack in the mail today. I’ve followed all the steps, yes the cables are properly connected checked a million times! However still no connection to the hub I have wireless but no Connection. The modem shows the flashing green light and the wireless green sign. 

could someone help fix this ASAP? I may need an engineer to come and fix it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Tcampos wrote:

I received my internet pack in the mail today. I’ve followed all the steps, yes the cables are properly connected checked a million times! However still no connection to the hub I have wireless but no Connection. The modem shows the flashing green light and the wireless green sign. 

could someone help fix this ASAP? I may need an engineer to come and fix it. 

flashing green usually means no connection - check the coax connections again - check in the external box that someone has not disconnected anything - if all thats ok you need to book a tech

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Stupid question, what and where is the external box? 

0 Kudos