Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I give in with the Hub4, still constantly dropping out

OK, I give in after God knows how many phone calls, engineer visits, boosters the WiFi is still constantly dropping out.  I can't believe I am going to have to spend more money just to try get the service I am paying for.  Anyway, seems my best option is to buy a router from a 3rd party and put this pathetic piece of equipment in modem mode.  Im not good with technology so any recommendations on what I should be looking for?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: I give in with the Hub4, still constantly dropping out

buy the best you can afford, however if your budget is less than £80-100 then you might not end up with anything better.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@GaryGorilla wrote:

OK, I give in after God knows how many phone calls, engineer visits, boosters the WiFi is still constantly dropping out.  I can't believe I am going to have to spend more money just to try get the service I am paying for.  Anyway, seems my best option is to buy a router from a 3rd party and put this pathetic piece of equipment in modem mode.  Im not good with technology so any recommendations on what I should be looking for?

Depends on budget...

ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 (AI Mesh USB 3.0 Router, AiProtection by Trend Micro, AI Mesh, WTFast Game Accelerator Adaptive QoS, Dual-WAN 3G/4G Support) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WFL15D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_KycQFbRV126FV

Deal: ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 AiMesh Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router, AI Mesh,  Access Point Mode, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 for Media Server, 3G/4G Dongle Support, 802.11AC https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FB45SI4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_dlT_0ycQFbP9FH8HH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=...

TP-Link AC2300 Wireless WiFi Router | Powerful 1.8GHz Dual-Core Processor | 802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO (Archer C2300) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XZ3S6B8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_XzcQFb5SGNYH7

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can  you use any type of router or do I need to look for something specific to work with the hub 4?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Any. So long as it’s not an ADSL/VDSL combo

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

Any. So long as it’s not an ADSL/VDSL combo

so not any then!
the router must have a WAN ethernet port, and be able to get the internet connection using DHCP (not PPPoA/E etc).

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, this is where it all gets too technical for me with all these random letters.  I dont really understand it all.  Probably best that I select one and then just ask if its OK.  People seems to recommend a WiFi 6 to future proof it.  The prices do vary dramatically though 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It depends if you’re likely to want the latest and greatest smartphone and tablet year on year. If not then Wi-Fi 6 is pretty pointless at this stage.

Any of the ones given above already will be more than capable for everyday needs and requirements.

0 Kudos