cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Humorously named Virgin "Connect" app will not work with Hub 5

neilbarstow
On our wavelength

I've been with Virgin years - since they took over from Cable and Wireless! The engineer who installed my Hub 5 (I needed multiple phone sockets) told me that I should use theVirgin "Connect" app to test my Wi-Fi coverage and try order the Virgin Wi-Fi extender pods I'm entitled to (I have an o2 contract) from within that"Connect" app which apparently qualifies the lack of Wi-Fi coverage in the home.

But, try as I might and I've spent hours, although the phone uses the hub for Wi-Fi just fine the "connect" app, will not work. I'm dreading another long long hold to talk to someone about this.

Any solutions much appreciated. I'd prefer not to rest the hub to factory, as I only set it up Saturday and getting my Wi_fi network details / password and personal admin password onto it was a bit of a long process. I had the spinnnign wheel overnight, it never ended, I just gave up and found it HAD updated the settings already. 

Reading here about Hub 5 I'm not feeling enthused about the hardware quality! And as for Virgin support, OMG, trying to get my phone-line fixed last week, it took me 48 mins to get through and then after 40 mins speaking to a lady with a very strong Asian accent I was cut off. I do like the Asian accent, but on a tech call it can get in the way, unfortunately. Come on Virgin, you're charging us enough. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Don't waste another moment with tech support.

Use any Wi-Fi Analyser app on a mobile to see the signal strength and any speed test app to check out in room performance of your mobile phone's Wi-Fi.

Uninstall / Re-install the VM Connect app. if it still does not work the delay is the VM back office systems need updating with your new Hub 5 and you just have to try again every few days.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Legend

Don't waste another moment with tech support.

Use any Wi-Fi Analyser app on a mobile to see the signal strength and any speed test app to check out in room performance of your mobile phone's Wi-Fi.

Uninstall / Re-install the VM Connect app. if it still does not work the delay is the VM back office systems need updating with your new Hub 5 and you just have to try again every few days.

Thanks. It has now connected to my system but frustratingly it’s not helping me order Wi-fi extender pods. Some rooms have no Wi-fi and it just errors out. Some have low but I’m being directed to the website to order and there’s nowhere there I can find to do so. 
I did try “Speedtest” it analyses the signal every room and does not error out - its finding quite a few rooms with no coverage at all. 

Client62
Legend

Our preference is for use of Wi-Fi Access Points or similar that we have purchased and installed. 

This way we have devices that are fully under our control and work with any ISP.

I am not fond of the VM Hubs being such a pain to get hold of, and the total lack of control, and the situation where VM Pods become useless the moment the initial VM Hub is replaced for a fault or update.