cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5x - Support with network workarounds

KeplersLaw
Joining in

Hi all, 

Today I had Virgin Media FTTP installed and a large part of my move to Virgin Media was that I felt secure in the knowledge that the Hubs provided had the option to operate in modem mode. It has since transpired that this is not the case with the hardware I've been provided (even the Engineer who installed this seemed oblivious to the fact). Reading on the forums this seems to be part of a trial, something which was not brought up at any point during a somewhat poor sales experience. 

Disappointing though this is, I'm hoping that someone with a bit more tech knowledge may be able to help with a workaround. I've got 2 x TP Link Archer C80 routers that I use within the home. Is there any way to work around the modem mode and continue to operate these? 

Appreciate any help or advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

Technically you can still connect the HUB 5x to the WAN port of one of your devices, even in router mode, however it would cause double NAT, which can affect various scenarios.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

You can, however, still connect devices to the HUB 5x to overcome this on whichever devices this affects.

Or, depending on your ethernet wiring, you could put the archer's into AP mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

carl_pearce
Community elder

Technically you can still connect the HUB 5x to the WAN port of one of your devices, even in router mode, however it would cause double NAT, which can affect various scenarios.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

You can, however, still connect devices to the HUB 5x to overcome this on whichever devices this affects.

Or, depending on your ethernet wiring, you could put the archer's into AP mode.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I know that the hub 5x has been deployed on XGS-PON for trialists and it's possible that modem mode may not be enabled. You can connect one C80 on a LAN to LAN connection (so you'll have wired broadband from the hub and C80 and WiFi from both).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I recommend double NAT have nothing connected to the hub but one router by WAN port set with static

IP 192.168.0.2

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1

And DMZ to 192.168.0.2

till modem mode happens

---------------------------------------------------------------

Martyn
Up to speed

I just turn off the hub5x wifi and use it as an ont pretty much, doesn't really effect me, how comes you have 2 TP Link Archer C80? 

personally would get rid of both and get an access point?

at least yours is working, ours has been down since yesterday =-/ was fine for ages now suddenly always down, only up for a few hours a day. everything within the hub5x is connected/online, but yet blue flashing light, we made a little facebook group, because there's zero support it seems, 

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Turning off WiFi does not disable the router.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Malachor
On our wavelength

Hello,

Thanks for posting this information.

I will be getting VM Fiber on the 10th (only provider in the area) and have my own ASUS DSL-AX82U modem/router I'd like to use as the primary router.

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the IP addresses you mentioned? Would I need to set those on the WAN port of my ASUS router?

Also:

IP 192.168.0.2 - Is this the IP I would set the WAN port to?

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1 - Assuming this is the IP address of the Hub 5x?

And DMZ to 192.168.0.2 - Does that set the DMZ of the ASUS router to an IP address within the range of the Hub 5x? If so would I need to leave DHCP enabled on the Hub 5x? In the absence of a functioning modem mode on the 5x (confirmed as not working until firmware update by other VM users) I'd like the Hub 5x to do as little as possible other than serve the connection.  All WiFi, Ethernet etc. I want handled by my ASUS router.

Sorry for the noob questions but my networking knowledge is limited and I want to avoid any issues with double NAT as much as possible.

Thanks very much.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Malachor wrote:

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the IP addresses you mentioned? Would I need to set those on the WAN port of my ASUS router?

Also:

IP 192.168.0.2 - Is this the IP I would set the WAN port to?

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.1 - Assuming this is the IP address of the Hub 5x?

yes

@Malachor wrote:

And DMZ to 192.168.0.2 - Does that set the DMZ of the ASUS router to an IP address within the range of the Hub 5x?

you set the DMZ on hub 

given how badly the hubs are I'm not sure disabling DHCP on the hub is a good idea plus setting the ASUS to 192.168.0.2 might not work unless its in the DHCP range so test it incoming traffic does not happen try 192.168.0.77 then DMZ to that IP     

---------------------------------------------------------------