cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 with M500

Rach7
Tuning in

Hi there. 
I’ll try and keep as short and simple as possible. 
Took out M500 in Nov22. Contract stated ‘supplied with Hub5’

It has been awful. Speeds and connections dropping continuously. This led me to look into it further. Discovered I was supplied with Hub3. 
Have just spent nearly 2 hours speaking to every department and the upshot is Hub5 is not possible with M500 and I would need to upgrade to 1gb

ive tried to explain my contract is not what I was promised. So I guess my question is am I being lied to regarding it not possible with m500. They have tried to upsell me which I find skeptical. 

please help. Many thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub's 3, 4 and 5 are all capable of 500Mb.  It's pot luck which you get. Even the 1Gb tier can be a 4 or 5.  All VM kit is rented and as such is "recycled" between customers.

Do NOT upgrade btw, this is a bad practice, and besides, you might end up with a Hub 4 .....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rach7 wrote:

Hi there. 
I’ll try and keep as short and simple as possible. 
Took out M500 in Nov22. Contract stated ‘supplied with Hub5’

It has been awful. Speeds and connections dropping continuously. This led me to look into it further. Discovered I was supplied with Hub3. 
I've tried to explain my contract is not what I was promised. So I guess my question is am I being lied to regarding it not possible with m500. They have tried to upsell me which I find skeptical. 
please help. Many thanks. 

Hi Rach7,

M500 has never been advertised with a hub5, only the Gig1 packages.

What speeds are you actually receiving ?

Are the speeds and connections dropping on wired or wireless devices or both? 

Check all of your cabling, especially the white coaxial cable, and make sure it's snug and tight and free from all kinks.

There are a lot of tech guru's on the forum that can look into your speed and connection issues so please open a browser page and type in 192.168.0.1  On the page that opens click on the link below the login box that says "Check router status"

This brings up a section containing the hub stats   (the hub Router Status page)

Please  copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here (not screenshots) – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. (just click on each section in the navigation bar)

When posting the Network Logs you will see an error message (that's just the forum system blanking out the MAC addresses which can't be displayed), ignore this and just click on Reply (or Post) again, then your post will be approved.

You should also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This has been mentioned before on here where the Hub 5 was specifically listed as part of the package/deal.

Some customers have succeeded in getting a Hub 5 by simply badgering VM until they got what they were promised.

Do you have a copy of the original offer or advert for the package listing the Hub 5 specifically? In some recent adverts VM shows a picture of a Hub 5 but with a footnote saying it is for illustrative purposes only (or words to that effect).

The Hub 5 or Hub 4 are required for the 1 Gbps service but you can use a Hub 5 on a slower connection. Some post on here saying they have received a Hub 5 and don't particularly want it (due to various issues with it). Some posting on here are desperate for a Hub 5 and can't get one. It is often just a lottery what kind of hub you get.

Rach7
Tuning in

IMG_7022.jpeg

what has annoyed me more than anything is being lied to by one of the ladies I spoke to telling me it wouldn’t work with m500 when I knew full well that wasn’t the case and them trying to get me to spend more on a revised more contract. I have put in a formal complaint. 

I have looked at what you’ve said but no idea from there. I’m so not technical unfortunately. Thank you though. I’ve raised a formal complaint with virgin.  

Thank you for that. So frustrating being lied to in the phone. 

Hi there @Rach7 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see you've not had what was promised 😔 I can certainly understand the frustration with this not being done.

I'll be happy to take a look at this further and address your complaint. I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you were promised a Hub 5 then that is what should should have. 

But if your existing problems are due to either a poor broadband connection into the Hub, or poor WiFi coverage around the house, changing from a Hub 3 to a Hub 5 will make little difference. 

It would be worthwhile to give full details here of the service problems, as suggested above, to see if you can get some further advice, 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.