cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 - first impressions

Sautoy
On our wavelength

Got it on Tuesday. Switched out the SH3 and connected the SH5. No issues when changing hubs.

Wifi performance on 2.4G and 5G is pretty much the same as SH3 - (390Mb/s and 95Mb/s on 5G and 2.4G, 350 connection). No issues with any connected devices, laptops, mobiles, tablets, plugs, lights, TVs, streaming boxes or cameras. No issues with switches or the other access points in the house.

No Wifi6 devices here.

So no appreciable difference compared to the SH3 for me.

13 REPLIES 13

charscot
Dialled in

Hub 5 arrived today and with the current issues (no tv etc) am slightly wary of installing a new Hub until the other issues are resolved.

Thanks for posting as I had reservations about how easy things would be when it came to connecting to those devices that insist on using 2.4G but from what you have said I clearly don't need to be concerned.

Just have to wait for their services to all be up and running again 🙂

I'm a new hub5 owner.

I can't really speak for any improvement on the Wi-Fi front as mine went instantly into modem mode.

Easy enough to do, although I had to take a picture of the underside of the box because VM 'forgot' to include the card with the details on it, changing settings via web browser was as easy as with the hub 3 no problems there.

The box itself is thinner, deeper and taller than the hub 3 (I had to slant it at a 45 degree angle on my shelf as it wasn't wide enough to go straight on without fouling the cables against the wall.

The power lead is better, being a simple plug and wire about 6 ft long, with no transformer box halfway along the power lead now.

I got it simply for a degree of future proofing, my PC has 2.5 Gbps Ethernet, so does the hub, I'll update my mesh system in due course to also have 2.5 Gbps ports and my wiring is already 2.5 Gbps capable.

I was fortunate to have the card in my box, precisely on the back of the hub itself at the top ready to slide out.

I was going for the future proof aspect too. Not noticed anything that is much of an improvement so far.

The size of the hub is an annoyance, as you rightly point out it is bigger and it's depth meant moving it's position slightly.

Have noticed a far weaker 2.4G signal which is frustrating as many of our plugs are Tuya ones that require a 2.4 signal.

Even the 5Ghz signal is not as powerful as the Hub 3 at the opposite end of the house. Hopefully will find a setting that needs tweaking to improve that..

@charscot wrote:

Hopefully will find a setting that needs tweaking to improve that..

Yup. It’s called Modem Mode. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks, will google how to change it to that. 🙂

Hmm, as I don't have a wireless router to connect to the Hub 5 (and didn't have one when I had faster speeds on my old Hub) I don't think that is the answer for myself.

Shouldn't need to buy new gear just to get the hub to reach the speeds the old hub did without any extra gear.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try splitting the SSID and manually setting the bands and channels. Also disable all Smart WiFi optimisations. To get the best selection use a WiFi scanner to pick the least congested channel. The 2.4  should only be on 1, 6, or 11. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, I will give all of that a try.

Alan_B
On our wavelength

Got exactly same issues....have you discovered anything that helps?