cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 Question

Dan_F
Tuning in

Hi

I noticed recently that download speeds had dropped to around 1/3 of where they should be - only thing that had happened was another company had been digging in the street near the cabinet.

Did all the usual troubleshooting to no avail. I saw that downstream power levels were higher than the threshold so contacted VM who sent a tech.

He replaced the hub4 with a hub5 and has connected x2 attenuators (3dB and 6dB) to bring it within range. He also said the street cabinet was fine.

He showed me that he was getting speeds via wifi at approx 960Mbps (where it should be) so I didn't question it.

A speedtest via samknows still says the router has a connection speed of 1Gbps approx, but when I connect to it with my laptop via ethernet I still only get 400Mbps approx.

The interface on the laptop can manage 900Mbps and has done previously.

Am I missing something? It's probably something really simple but I don't understand why I can't get full speed from the hub5 via ethernet, when my device and the hub are capable of it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Given a totally different driver stack is in use it is hard to know unless we run the test,

Also test via the various 2.5 and 1Gb/s ports of the Hub 5.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

This reads like the software on your laptop is bogging down its performance. Often bloated antivirus / firewall / safe browsing / ad-blockers and always on social media / message programs takes quite a toll.

Reboot the Laptop into Safe Mode + Networking and rerun the Samknows Realspeed test - often there is a huge improvement confirming the hardware is good and the installed software needs prune.

Dan_F
Tuning in

Hi Client62

This thought struck me after I posted - I have tried a speedtest on a Linux Live USB and still only reaching approx 400Mbps. Will recheck in safe mode however this will basically be the same thing?

Client62
Legend

Given a totally different driver stack is in use it is hard to know unless we run the test,

Also test via the various 2.5 and 1Gb/s ports of the Hub 5.

Will do, will report back soon - thanks.

Dan_F
Tuning in

So running a speed test via a wired Nvidia Shield produced accurate results (900Mbps). So you are correct, thanks it's clearly this laptop or an issue with the ethernet cable I'm using.

I can sort that out though so looks like problem solved. Out of interest, do you think I should keep my Archer AX20 and leave the Hub5 in modem mode, or just use the Hub5? What's performance generally like with them?

Client62
Legend

I doubt the network cable, the symptoms of bad cable are de-rating from 1000 to 100Mb/s, you are not seeing that as the speed test would drop to about 80 to 90Mb/s on the download.

The Hub 5 in Modem mode + the Wi-Fi Router would be my pick without any hesitation. If the Archer AX20 is getting your proper day job done with out any fuss, why not keep it in service & get some more value from it. 

Dan_F
Tuning in

Because I have a toddler in the house who thinks it's a toy 🙂

She will have to learn to cope with it or I will have to fix it to a wall somewhere! Thanks for your help!

Hi @Dan_F, thank you for your posts.

We're sorry to hear about the problem you were having, but we're glad to hear it's been solved 😀

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us. 

Thank you for your support @Client62 👍

Regards,
Daniel