Menu
vikingbeard
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 killing internet when switched into modem mode

Just got myself a new Asus router after getting fed up with constant dropouts.

Put the Hub4 in to modem mode & there is no internet connection. I have waited for around 30 mins for the mode to "settle down" but still nothing.

Tried a factory reset and internet connection comes back (in router mode), so I gave it another 30 or so mins to "settle down" and switched to modem mode again, same problem.

Repeated the above steps using each of the hubs LAN ports connected directly to my desktop PC and it's the exact same problem.

Is this a known fault on the Hub4? or some ridiculous way of VM tried to make you stick with their god awful equipment?

Just to be clear, I haven't even taken the new router out of the box yet, so that's not the problem. I wanted to make sure I had a stable connection direct to my desktop first.

So this is an actual issue with the Hub4 killing the connection once in modem mode. It will load up its own configuration page where it insists everything is fine, yet there is no internet from any of the LAN ports, what kind of nonsense is this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 killing internet when switched into modem mode

You MUST follow the correct sequence to put a hub into modem mode.

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos