Menu
Ndmercer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 and Smart Devices

Hello all, I’ve recently received a VM Hub4 which has unleashed a catalogue of woe when it comes to Smart devices.  Prior to this we had a hub 3 and over the years we’ve collected a myriad of smart plugs/bulbs/cameras and extenders.  Having eventually got the Hub4 to install and connect all the usual suspects to this, it then cam time to connect the smart gear.  My Nest devices swapped across, as did a tp-link bulb & plug and a Phillips hue bulb, but everything else is now useless.  I’ve got a couple of efamilylink, smart life and tuya plugs that won’t work and a smart life bulb.  I’ve tried the Ez connections and theAP connections but no joy.  I’ve also tried switching off 5ghz in the advanced settings but again no joy.  I we also got an ipixo camera and Myannke camera bit of which can’t connect.  Overall, I’m at the stage where I may just go back to hub 3 and sacrifice the better coverage for kit that will actually work with smart stuff!  If anyone’s for any suggestions, I’d be very grateful.  VM’s only suggestion was to approach the community, glad their contracts are so cheap when that’s their level of service:)

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 and Smart Devices

Why not just get a better router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Ndmercer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi legacy1, thanks for speedy the reply.  I’m just a normal domestic user paying a small fortune for the contract to VM so I’m not that clued.  It doesn’t seem that unreasonable to expect the Hub4 to do the job I’m paying VM for it to do.  If VM can’t step up to the plate, is there an affordable router that you’d recommend?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The HUB4 FW should at least be based off the HUB3 FW in that all old bugs that were eventually fixed should be non existent, not to say the HUB3 is bug free as it is not to this day.

It is a PIA when devices swap names/icons (got to look up Mac's to identify them to revert changes).

WIFI seems weaker and this is one hot router (thought it may be similar as heat is at top instead of both sides), not heard fan so far.

It is Good you can dim the LED but this was available on the SH2 also, it is right around the top rim so I used black out sticker on it apart from a small section on front as no need for a " Tron Light Show" esp in a dark media room.

I have seen it turn White/Red/Blue and I think possibly Green.

0 Kudos
phileye
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hi you can try changing the WiFi channel handling to manual and choose ch11 that what I did for some of my smart devices and they are connected

0 Kudos
Bollocks77
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I too have had the exact same problem. Ive done everything everyone advises and Ive even changes channels manually to all different numbers with nothing. In the end, I contacted customer services and complained. They turned the hub 4 OFF and re activated the Hub 3. Im back up and running and everything work. TBH theres no difference in the wifi at all and yes this Hub 4 gets very hot.

0 Kudos
Lazare
Settling in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, although I'm a VM customer myself, I'm enquiring to try help out my own customer who I've sold a smart device to. My device (hub for automated window blinds) works off the same tech as Tuya devices. 

I read on another thread that disabling 'smart wifi' will resolve the issue. I'm wondering if anyone has tried that?

There was a recent update to the router that allowed the option of disabling smart wifi.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

are the smart plugs that wont connect all app controlled - if so you need to set the app up to the new wifi as it will still be looking for the old one - once you have done that you will have to re pair the devices - hold the button on them until you get a rapid flashing light then go back to the app and set them up - you should not have to turn the 5 band off just split them in the hub settings

afaik the more expensive devices - nest etc work out thats somethings changed and search for new settings - you obviously have to put in passwords - the smart switch may be smart when it comes to turning things on and off but need you to reset them when things change

Tony
0 Kudos