Menu
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 and DHCP

Hello

Has anyone seen issues with Hub4 refusing to allocate DHCP addresses?  Specifically I have an issue with NVIDIA shield not connecting.  It did momentarily but then disappears.  I have allocated fixed IP addresses for a number of devices in order for my NAS drive to be able to control access with some higher degree of certainty, e.g. so I don't let the wifi enabled lightbulbs IP address access to my NAS.  No I don't wear a tin-foil hat but... well.

But regardless, all wifi devices in the house have worked.

If it is relevant I also saw that when I was trying to name those devices in the superhub "Home" page that it gets in a right pickle and starts overwriting device names left right and centre.  And as I renamed each device to their proper name the NVIDIASHIELD seemed to be the name that kept getting passed around the various devices.

But since then I've both restarted the Hub and factory-reset.  Since then all my devices in the house connected fine.  But the shield will not connect.  FYI I've not updated shield to the FW released yesterday so it's not that.  Also I had both Subperhub 2, 2ac and 3 all without issues before this one.

Also for some additional information - my hub is FW version  01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20.  Hardware version 11.

Hoping someone might be able to help provide advice/tips before I need to send the Hub back

Thank you

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------
2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

0 Kudos
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 and DHCP

some additional info... if I refresh the Hub4 router config page while the Shield is connecting I can see the MAC address is connected and an IP Address is assigned.  But they just won't stay connected/connection refused.

There's nothing in the router logs which now just seems to have WAN IP connection stuff so nothing helpful there.

2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

0 Kudos
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've not sanitised log so not uploading it just yet but verbose wifi loggin on Shield log seem to show errors in  "DHCP Discovery" but also "WifiVendorHal: getApfCapabilities" failed 

what is also odd is that once connected you can see a disconnect event come through on the Hardware access level.  Almost like the device is being kicked out during that last handshake

2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Its only fixed by getting your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

what - hub can't act as DHCP server?  isn't that the most basic of all roles for a wifi router?

2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

0 Kudos
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

p.s I should've also said thanks for replying.   QQ although I do see lots of people complaining that they can't even get the external router to work I didn't see anything about why so many were trying. [compared to the hub3]

However, is this need to use an external router known to Virgin?  I don't see it in any sticky on this site.

2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

does the shield have any issues when connected via ethernet?
i ask, because the nvidia forum currently has quite a few people reporting wifi issues since 8.2.2 was pushed out to the shields.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/

my 2 shields have no issues though, but i use my own router.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This weekend I'm going to factory reset the router and try connecting one last time over wifi, and then once connected only then assigning perm IP address.  I got it working once the first time around but then my Googlehome devices that I connected later wouldn't work on their IP addresses.  I'm also going to try sequential IP addresses... before I had gaps so I could use ranges of IP so e.g. I knew ranges in the .5x were fully permissioned on the NAS and those in the .20x like the smart lights etc had no permissions.

Either way seems something badly broken with the code in the DHCP server and the device Naming ability in the main homepage of the router. 

I had none of these issue in the SmartHub 2AC or 3.

2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

0 Kudos
crypticc
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I've found no issues with Ethernet - though I didn't try to assign perm IP in the DHCP page on the router for that MAC address. 
Annoying that I needed to nab the port normally reserved for the console though and unplug/plug as needed.

Incidentally, the issues were on the previous version of Shield, but upgrading didn't make any difference.
Also noting my other message, when Shield was working in a previous attempt other devices had issues... I think the fault is the Virgin router not the Shield.
2011 TiVo scaling bug

TiVo upscaling output

2017 Tivo-scaling bug

0 Kudos
Sautoy
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Not a solution - but a workaround...

If ethernet is ok and the problem is plugging-in/switching shield or console buy an unmanaged switch (eg TP-Link £10 on ebay/Amazon) and use this.

0 Kudos