Menu
derek765
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 / 5 manuals ?

Hi all

Waiting delivery of Hub4 - ws wondering what options are available in the router - can't find a manual anywhere. Possible upgrade to Hub5 when it's available too - ditto manual availability

My tplink has (eg) dyndns, vpn, parental controls (most of which aren't actually available right now as I'm running it in AP mode - using it as the main router with hub3 in modem mode was really disappointing)

TIA

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 / 5 manuals ?

Don't get too excited, Virgin hubs have no meaningful features, just bare bones wifi and questionable port forwarding 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What TP-Link router model do you have?

AP Mode is a waste.... It should be a quantum jump better than anything a VM Hub has to offer. I am wondering if you set it up in the correct sequence - what were the issues?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
derek765
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's the Ax50, decent router.

Know what you mean about right sequence, took a few goes to get it working properly with help from here.

First thing was having two black boxes, 2 power supplies etc. Annoying but it is what it is. 

I found speeds using modem mode with ax50 as router were inconsistent, but frequently lower than just using hub3, obviously lose a bunch of ethernet ports. It could be that I was connecting hub to ax50 lan rather than wan, can't recall.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The AX50 looks pretty good, and should be miles better than the Hub 4.   As for lack of ethernet ports, an unmanaged switch will provide more ports as required. 

Come back when you get the Hub 4 and we can advise the best method of getting this all working.  In the meantime, I would advise getting a good Cat 6a cable to use when connecting the Hub 4 to the AX50.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos