cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 2.4GHz problem

potomac
On our wavelength

I have just bought a new printer which only works with 2.4 GHz connections. 

This printer will not connect. 

On investigation I find that everything else that connects to the hub - PC, smartphone, etc. - have all connected at 5 GHz, notwithstanding that the hub is set to handle both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Do I need a new hub or is there a magic setting that I'm missing?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

I used the instructions as described in the link, I first clicked the Disable Channel Optimisation, then added _2g to the end of the 2ghz channel, made no change to the 5ghz, same password for both. 

Martin

potomac
On our wavelength

I've tried all your kind suggestions, but to no avail: it simply will not 'publish' the 2.4GHz SSID.  I have tried with my phone and a wi-fi analyser and all they can see is the 5 GHz access.  So, I've reported the matter to VM as a fault. Wish me luck with that!

And thanks again

Does the SSID for 2.4ghz show if you don’t reboot Hub after the change, I have had mine disappear occasionally following a reboot and I wonder if VM have made a change to router software/firmware as this never used to happen.

Martin

potomac
On our wavelength

The 2.4 option never appears no matter what.  I have not tried disabling the 5.0 GHz access because it's quicker for most things and I don't want to lose it just to get a printer working.  And in any case, why should I?  The hub4 should just work the way it's supposed to without me having to do back handsprings.  The hub3 did!

As far as I can see all my settings are correct, so let's get VM involved to sort it out - they charge enough!

They've responded to my complaint with the handy proviso that it might take 28 days.  Honestly, you have to wonder.  I'll let you know what happens next.

I would call them rather than email, a mod might even respond to this post if you are lucky

Martin

Hi potomac,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to see you've been having some issues with the WiFi signals.

I've had a look at things from our side and can see you've been able to get in touch to arrange a technician.

Please let us know how this goes.

Alex_Rm

potomac
On our wavelength

All is working!
(The Hub4 has been replaced.)

While talking to the tech I learnt that "Smart Wi-Fi" should be set and that the names of the 2.4 and 5GHz access points (SSIDs) should remain the same(!)  It seems that if these settings are made, attempts to connect to the router by external devices are marshalled by the Hub software into the necessary 'frequencies' according to distance from the hub and the requirements of the connecting device itself.  Now I'm pretty sure that I did use those settings among the many permutations I tried while trying to get it all to work.  Whatever, it now works and works well.  (And, No, I'm not forgetting that a new Hub was also used).

Thanks again to all

Glad you have some success, however Smart WiFi doesn’t always work for all devices, our Smart Plugs, Amazon echo and Smart Meter IHD wouldn’t connect if Smart WiFi was switched on, we had to split the frequencies giving a different name to the 2.4ghz frequency in order to get them to work. 

Martin