cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 1GB intermittment WIFI. Connection unstable. Speeds all over the place

AmMin
Dialled in

Upgraded to Hub 4 and 1 GB. Am just over 1m from exchange.

Several issues

Connecting Windows Dell XPS 13 and couple iphones.

I have reset Hub4 multiple times and now bored. Never fixes issue. Seems to run a bit faster afterwards but not proper speed

Samknows says getting 1GB into Hub 4. However for all of last week and more I was unable to run any test on Samknows as it said there was no router ( which is a complete porky pie).

Speed tests on Dell over wifi (whether 2m away or on floor above) are erratic and change significantly in the space of minutes. Flashes of >500MB (rare like unicorns) and most of time mid 200's download (goes from low 200's to 400) and 50ish upload. Today and less than 3m clear line of sight from Hub4 the download was 35.9 and upload froze.

On virtually every zoom/teams/googlemeet call my screen freezes and internet connection claims to be unstable.

My PC is up to date and about a year old and is not a slouch machine

What is going wrong? How do I fix? What makes speed so erratic? I need to be able to do normal VC.

Please do not tell me to hard wire my PC into the hub. I WFH on 1st floor (pretty much above the Hub) and am not able to run a cable from one to the other

24 REPLIES 24

I need help on fixing some serious issues of speed being variable and hub not working as it should do.

I began another post on speed when using ethernet connections. Please see that

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-1Gbps-not-delivering/m-p/4820965#M433...

I think it is clear there are issues on the Hub; speeds into the Hub are falling consistently below Virgin's thresholds day after day and you can see Samknows screenshots with speeds below your minimum speed guarantee; there are latency spikes each day in the BQM that are not there at night indicating a fault or utilisation issue and I am losing internet connection when video conferencing or when doing remote access for IT support; T3 errors increase and there are uncorrectables (Post RS Errors) in the 3.1 downstream that seem to increase, sometimes daily, and which is an indication of a probable noise problem; speeds out of the hub over ethernet cables are far removed from the 1G service and speeds out over WiFi are next to useless with buffering/dropping out connections when streaming, for example, over iphones. 

Yes I need urgent help and this is not simply a WiFi issue  

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AmMin,

Thanks for your post, I can see you are posting in another thread and we are messaging you and looking to book a tech, please keep to one thread so we can ensure we help you as soon as we can 🙂 
Zoie

Hi Zoie

The threads are different.

This post is about unstable WiFi and .ax vs .ac compatibility and that Hub 4 is rubbish at WiFi. I have no faith that Virgin can improve that as the Hub 4 modem/router provided is not up to the task and the PODS do not improve the WiFi service and after multiple resets it comes down to Virgin being unable or unwilling to guarantee WiFi speeds or even a WiFi connection. It is clear Virgin will not guarantee the WiFi speed or guarantee a consistent connection to your device even when it has a clear line of sight and is placed within a meter or two meters to the Hub 4 

My other post is about speed into the hub being below the volume guarantee, speed out of the hub over an ethernet connection being way down on the promised speed, poor latency, latency spikes, being pinged on a regular basis adding to latency issues and a series of uncorrected Post RS errors to mistaken interpretation of my hub stats and not answering the questions raised. In other words, what on earth is wrong with the Hub 4, the Hub 4 speed, both in and out, and where is the service I am paying for. 

Hi AmMin

We would still ask you to stick to one thread as it's about broadband and a tech being booked. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello AmMin,

We can see this same message has been sent in multiple threads, to help keep everything in one location we will now close this thread down.

Your Private Message will be responded to as soon as the agent is available.

Rob