Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 to Hub5 cable issue

Gemma78
Tuning in

Hello all,

First post!

I’ve been a Virgin customer for a good few years and never had a problem. Last week upgraded to 1gig broadband and was sent a Hub5. All setup and working, great. Apart from my garden room… I’ve a Ethernet cable running from the house to my garden room bar/entertainment room. Maybe 50m run. Previously cable went straight into a smart TV. I could stream HD TV and Amazon music perfectly. Now, I get nothing from the cable. Obviously checked all connections but the TV keeps saying ‘no wired internet connection’. Nothing has changed apart from Hub5. The old Hub3 was returned so can’t plug back in and test.

Do you think this is something I can book an engineer to look at? I’m concerned they will charge me if they can’t find a fault. Mind, fine if £30, not so fine if double or triple that!

Any advice given would be much appreciated 

Regards

Gem x

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

I’m blessed with an Ethernet cable tester (c. £9) and the first thing I would do is test the integrity of the cable.  You never now what a naughty badger might have done.

Fact is, you need to bottom this out.  A USB-C to RJ45 adaptor might be a worthwhile purchase plus a patch cable.  Then you could try the Hub 5 ports on your MAC .  

You’d be taking a chance on the VM technician having anything on his/her van for testing the RJ45 ports.

Keep us posted. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

carl_pearce
Community elder

Have you tried other ports on the HUB 5?

Do they work with other wired devices?

roastspud
On our wavelength

Have you plugged it into the 2.5gbps port by any chance?

hello Carl,

I’ve tried ports 1 & 4 but still no joy. Don’t have any other wired devices to test as I use a Mac (no RJ45 port).

Gem x

Hello,

Maybe, at first… I tried then ports 1 & 4 but still no joy.

Gem x

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

I’m blessed with an Ethernet cable tester (c. £9) and the first thing I would do is test the integrity of the cable.  You never now what a naughty badger might have done.

Fact is, you need to bottom this out.  A USB-C to RJ45 adaptor might be a worthwhile purchase plus a patch cable.  Then you could try the Hub 5 ports on your MAC .  

You’d be taking a chance on the VM technician having anything on his/her van for testing the RJ45 ports.

Keep us posted. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

carl_pearce
Community elder

Not exactly the same scenario (It was all I had to hand), however I've just tried a 30m cable between my HUB 5 and a device and no issue.

You either have:

• A damaged cable.
  • A faulty HUB.

Personally I would try to rule out the HUB being at fault by moving the smart TV next to the HUB and trying a shorter cable.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think, for the sake of a few pounds, @Sephiroth 's suggestion of an ethernet adapter for the Mac is a good idea.  It would be easier than moving the TV.  If you are really flush a simple cable tester would not go amiss either.  I have both and a spare 50M cable for test purposes.  If you only use it once, and it solves a problem, it's money well spent !

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks