Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 ports in modem mode

Hi folks,

I have just replaced my Hub2 with a Hub3 as an upgrade to M500 broadband and have a puzzle with regard to using the Hub3 in modem mode.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless router next to the Hub3 and that has 4 wired ports on the back. One of the ports is being used by my desk PC and the others by some smart-house stuff. I have the router connected to one of the ports on the Hub3 and everything is working fine, wireless and wired. The desk PC is effectively wired through to the modem router via gigabit ports.

I ran a speed test on my desk PC and was getting disappointing speeds, no better, perhaps marginally worse than my older Hub2 with M200. After a few chats with VM, I got nowhere. I realise the PC is sharing bandwidth with the Wi-Fi but there is little traffic on that as major devices are all off. Speedtest.net is showing speeds of typically 200M both on Wi-Fi and wired connection in this config.

So, I thought I would connect my desk PC directly to a second of the four ports on the Hub3 and after a bit of trouble getting the PC to identify the new network connection (I had to reboot the Hub3) hey presto, I get 520M+ speed......but, the internet access on my Wi-Fi router stops dead. As the Hub3 has 4 ports, I expected to be able to use more than one, but it seems that my desk PC took over the modem completely and killed my Wi-Fi router. Disconnecting the PC and rebooting the Hub and router got it all back.

Does the Hub3 allow more than one port to be used? I can only find very basic info on modem mode on the VM site (how to invoke it). If so, any idea what I need to do to keep my Wifi Router wired connection active?

Cheers in advance for any help available!

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 ports in modem mode

On modem mode only the one (usually bottom) port works.

Any other Ethernet connections need to be made to your third-party router. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With the VM Hub in Modem Mode only one ethernet port is active and, that will be the first port that is connected while the Hub is powered on.

Your System should look similar to this ...

LAN-Modem

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that's what I feared.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are you having problems with your setup ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@DuncanRoss wrote:

Thanks, that's what I feared.

How come?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't get why people think modem mode and one port is a problem in router mode you have 4 ports in modem mode 1 port and that normally goes to your routers WAN port and normally a router has 4 ports...so your not losing anything in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:
I don't get why people think modem mode and one port is a problem in router mode you have 4 ports in modem mode 1 port and that normally goes to your routers WAN port and normally a router has 4 ports...so your not losing anything in modem mode.

And you can also add an unmanaged switched to give even more ports.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1: Because not everyone understands these things - if I understood the issue in speed loss, I would not be here 🙂

I would not have expected it to be a problem but it is - when my Wifi is doing virtually nothing (no streaming, no downloads, no PCs on and updating etc), I am only getting 220M download speed at my PC via my Netgear router wired port, but when the PC is connected directly to the modem, I get 520M. As all the wired ports are 1Gig, I do not understand why my PC speed is being slugged. If the Wifi was being used, then I would understand the drop in speed at the one wired device.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@DuncanRoss 

If, as you say, just connecting the PC to the Hub in modem mode, gives the expected throughput then that indicates that VM are supplying the correct speed and the Hub is working properly and passing it through. I would be looking very hard at the settings on the Netgear router since it would appear that this is responsible for the reduction in speed.

Look for settings related to QoS (and experiment with turning them off) and also anything related to hardware NAT acceleration (and make sure that this is enabled).