Menu
tlerner87
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 not reaching loft - no stock of wifi pods as promised

Hi,

Posting here out of frustration.

I am a new customer, signed up to Ultimate oomph as it is advertised I will receive a free Wifi Pod booster if required. I knew that the signal is unlikely to reach my loft where I work so it sounded like a good deal. 

As expected after installation of Hub3, the signal in the loft is very poor, using the Virgin Connect App it did all the tests and troubleshooting and then suggested to get a Wifi Pod - but then says "unavailable" etc.

I have since learnt that there hasnt been stock for months and im unlikely to get one anytime soon.

I also am completely struggling to get ANY technical help at all - the chat function isnt accepting technical help at the moment, my official complaint has gone unanswered even after 3+ weeks, and calling the phone line leads to an incredibly frustrating loop where it says "we will send a signal to test" etc but then just hangs up.

I keep getting stuck in a loop on the website help too, its like there just isn't a way to actually speak to someone technical!

It is unfair to still be advertising wifi pods when they know they arent going to be available, and suckers like me sign up because of it.

TLDR; My service and speed etc is working fine but it just cannot reach my loft, and the solution of wifi pods i was promised when i signed up recently isnt available.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 not reaching loft - no stock of wifi pods as promised

Hiya,

It's bad form to sign people up if they know there are no pods!

I'd be tempted to get my own router and put the hub in modem mode!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
tlerner87
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is very naughty to still be advertising it.

I knew I would need some sort of mesh/extender, and seeing that signing up to Ultimate would get me that included in the price, I went for it.

Now I have to pay for something I'm not getting AND spend more on new expensive hardware.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I assume that you're not still in the 2 week cooling off period!

0 Kudos
tlerner87
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I was when i put my official complaint in but im still waiting for a response and its out of the 2 week window now! ERGH!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@tlerner87 wrote:
I was when i put my official complaint in but im still waiting for a response and its out of the 2 week window now! ERGH!

Drive through your complaint and raise a CISAS case if necessary, setting out what you want - be that to leave without penalty or compensation/reimbursement.

In the meantime get your own equipment such as a mesh system and use the Virgin hub in modem mode. 

You can reduce costs by buying pre-owned kit and ex ISP routers as additional access points if you wish, though the later needs a wired connection (so Ethernet cable run to the loft, or upstairs, in your case, and some setting up).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The Pods are provided FOC - so you're not paying for them, per-se.

Also you can't go to CISAS until after 8 weeks of no response from VM or you receive a notification of deadlock beforehand.

Even if you do get the pods, don't expect the range or speed on them to be worth all the hassle of waiting.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Assuming you are handy at DIY and own the property?  Drop a Cat 6 external cable from the roofspace, down the outside wall and back into the Hub.  If you can do this, you could have an unmanaged switch with a wifi access point in the loft.  Sorted and no messing about with trying to extend wifi signals up into the loft.

lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cables! They're the future!! 😉

They're not but they are damn sight more reliable!!!

If I was designing my house now; I'd have a double ethernet socket in each room!

tlerner87
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Quick update: I tried one final time to get sorted on the technical phone line and threatening to leave again and low and behold I have some pods on their way to me. I should receive in a few days so will update if they have solved my issue.

Thanks for the replies received so far.

0 Kudos