cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 in modem mode, ping spikes and packet loss.

alekc
Joining in

As per title, since switching to VM I've been having constant ping spikes and packet loss waves (on the equipment connected via cable).

I.e. last 3 days

alekc_0-1691577848420.png

alekc_1-1691577868543.png

alekc_2-1691577901900.png

alekc_3-1691577985454.png

alekc_4-1691578030497.png

alekc_5-1691578049606.png

alekc_6-1691578079466.png

09/08/2023 10:45:36noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
01/01/1970 00:01:43criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/08/2023 08:13:37noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
08/08/2023 08:12:44Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
07/08/2023 11:27:31criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
07/08/2023 07:27:1Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
06/08/2023 06:47:7criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
06/08/2023 05:07:4ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any suggestions?

My Broadband Ping - My Home
21 REPLIES 21

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey alekc, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear about this.

I have taken a look and everything is looking okay on our side however this BQM shows its hit and miss doesn't it.

May I ask how is it on WIFI or is it the same? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I have not measured it on the Wifi, but given the experience I would say it's consistent with what's reported on the BQM (during navigation sometimes there are "hiccups" where well estabilished sites (i.e. google) take about 30s to load.

Virgin hub atm is in modem mode, and wifi is provided by a third party mesh system.

One of potential issues I can think on top of my head are

1) Hub3 itself (given the age of the hardware and limitations of it's chipset)

2) Virgin media box on the outside of the house doesn't have the lid, so it's open to the rain/wind.

Please can you try it without the 3rd party kit just to see what its like please.

As we don't guarantee our equipment to work with 3rd party and if it did it may not work 100%, with this it would be interesting to see differ the results may be.

If there isn't an improvement we can look at having a private chat to see what we can do for you. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Client62
Legend

With the Hub in modem mode it is your Router responding to the BQM pings.

3) The 3rd party Router and its connecting cable.

@Matthew_ML wrote:

As we don't guarantee our equipment to work with 3rd party and if it did it may not work 100%, with this it would be interesting to see differ the results may be.

I can 100% guarantee in router mode will do the same!

---------------------------------------------------------------

alekc
Joining in

"Interestingly" once in router mode (and even with firewall off), router doesn't reply anymore on pings and there is no way of enabling it as far as I can see....

alekc
Joining in

Nvm, looks like my dyndns record was not updated causing the missing ping. I will keep it in router mode and see what happens

Thanks for coming back to us alekc and please do keep us updated, hopefully you won't have any further issues going forward but let us know if you do. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@alekc wrote:

"Interestingly" once in router mode (and even with firewall off), router doesn't reply anymore on pings and there is no way of enabling it as far as I can see....

When you move between modem/router modes on the Hub...  it changes the ip address - so it needs a second BQM - one for each ip (mode) - you can then toggle between them.  Unlike legacy1 I think there may be an issue with your router and its connections - it should at least be checked - see this older post ...

There is one other option, there have been several threads on here recently where similar BQM latency/packet loss problems were eventually pinned down to a dodgy piece of connected kit affecting the connection . Bad connectors on ethernet cables and faulty network switches being high on the list of suspects

What I advised was... if you run the BQM for 24h to get a picture of the issues (you have done this) - and then unplug all the ethernet cable connections from the Hub and just let it run - overnight is best - then in the morning look at the BQM and see if it has cleaned up. If it has - plug the devices back in to your router one at a time -  start with just the pc and check BQM - - then put your router on - for an hour or two add devices to it for ann hour or two until the problem reappears and that should indicate where to look for what is causing the issues

Examples.
See message 21 in the first thread - and 13 in the second.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-connection-dropping/td-p/4781287/p...
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-Connection/td-p/5069984/page/2

The ‘Block fragmented IP packets’ box in Firewall settings cured the Hub5 drop outs

See message 10

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Hub-5-broadband-dropping-regularly/td-p/5...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.