Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 and Wi-Fi issues - Recommended router

We use a Hub3 (currently on Wifi not router-only). In the house we have various Nest units, a couple of Kasa switches and lights, a couple of laptops, an XBox and then the usual plethora of phones, tablets and such.

When many of these are up and running we get all sorts of connectivity issues with devices timing out, the Google devices loosing connectivity and lots f spooling.

I've assessed the Hub is the biggest of the issues, I suspect a lot of the WiFi devices are timing out and I've decided to put another router in place and convert the Hub to "Modem Only".

Budget around £150 to £200 ... could someone suggest the best option? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 and Wi-Fi issues - Recommended router

Here are some ramblings I have posted before - see if this gets you thinking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never used wifi on a VM Hub ! Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Either.....

1) A Mesh System
2) A Wireless router
3) A Wireless access points
OR
4) A combination of the above

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a mansion 🙂

Good options for Access points are Ubiquiti, (routers also) and from these companies for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems such as TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latley's like Google, BT, Amazon etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example, two of my friends who live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features you need. Plus, ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2, so you may need to add in an unmanaged GB switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 3-pack of any Mesh system, and that doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Depends if you want a router or a mesh system.

Or if you have the capacity to run some wired Access Points. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If your devices are spread around the house, I doubt if one router will suffice. You would be better thinking of a Mesh system, perhaps a Deco M4 solution as it's been installed by several forum users here, and highly regarded.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys.....wired is (pretty much) out of the question as it's a rented property and I suspect the owners wouldn't be impressed with holes everywhere.

Property is 1990s, reasonably large and mostly internal stud walling. Signal strength from the VM Hub3 is reasonable but drops in the furthest of rooms a little. My issue I suspect isn't signal strength (though it probably doesn't help), it's the number of devices. The reliability tends to drop rapidly in relation to the number of devices hanging off the WiFi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Hoopyfrood344 wrote:

Thanks guys.....wired is (pretty much) out of the question as it's a rented property and I suspect the owners wouldn't be impressed with holes everywhere.

Property is 1990s, reasonably large and mostly internal stud walling. Signal strength from the VM Hub3 is reasonable but drops in the furthest of rooms a little. My issue I suspect isn't signal strength (though it probably doesn't help), it's the number of devices. The reliability tends to drop rapidly in relation to the number of devices hanging off the WiFi.

Then a more powerful router or mesh is required 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sound like a Mesh is your best option - check the specs of the router component to ensure it can handle the number of devices you have. The DecoM5 gets my vote just because my two mates got them recently and they are "cooler" looking than the bigger M4's. If signal strength isnt a big issue then starting with a 2-pack would be a good (& Cheaper) option and you would only need to get that third unit if there are still dead spots.

Whatever you get follow this procedure for connecting up.

---------------------------------
Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it from power. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub MUST then be powered off.
Then, fire up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN ethernet cable into the VM hub (any port). Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection leave 5' to stabilise.

Use the maker's recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos