Menu
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 and Devolo Magic 2

Ive read all the comments on Devolo here but its a bit confusing.

I have a hub3 but when my family work from here occasionally the wifi isnt great. So my son says get a mesh. But then I read that maybe devolos the way but understanding what to plug where is confusing. 
any simple explanations out there? Ive read that simoly plugging in the Virgin booster isnt good enough or worth it.

thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 and Devolo Magic 2

I have no experience of the devolo range, but as they are powerline adapters, i'd recommend that you look into other options.. Powerline networking (in my view) is a "last resort" option..

i posted some thoughts on mesh systems in another thread.. 

before you invest any money in new network equipment though, are you certain that the issues you have are only with Wifi?  Are you happy with the general speed and performance of your connection when you have a strong wifi signal?  Have you done any testing with a device that is connected to the hub via an ethernet cable.. 

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks tehwolf.

You are clearly technically knowledgeable, way more than moi.

To get better performance my son ran a physical wire from my hub3 in the front room to his computer in the back. Worked well. If scruffy! Everyone else using their devices was fine except when they were possibly “out of range”?  upstairs.

So he suggested a mesh and here I am, exploring it.

It was last weeks Sunday Times article which raised the name Devolo name Id never heard of!

I have no idea how successfully the VM booster works for example and Im happy to spend the money to improve my wifi but at the same time I dont want to waste it!! 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A mesh is a good way of extending wireless coverage across your house - the info i linked in my post above should give you enough to get started on for researching what to buy - any of the products i mention there are likely to give you a better wireless signal in your house.. you just need to decide how much you want to spend...

plenty of knowledgeable people around here that can answer questions about specific makes/models before you buy, so do ask any questions you have before you buy 🙂

0 Kudos