cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 Modem Mode - Solid red light & no Internet connection

l_pboro0096
Tuning in

Hi everyone, so for many years now I have been using our Hub3 in Router mode. Recently purchased a Netgear Router I'd like to use instead so I put the Hub into Modem Mode and a solid red light comes on. I have read other peoples problems have been the same and it turned out the Hub was overheating or the light is Red/Magenta but still works in Modem mode.

This is not the case for me, the Hub is in a well ventilated place and works fine in Router mode but when I put it into Modem mode there is no Internet connection to it. I've tried multiple times and have to keep factory resetting it back to Router Mode which it works fine in. Once in Modem mode I have tried going to 192.168.100.1 but it doesn't work as there's no internet connection.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
What router model have you got? (not the hub)

You could connect just a PC to the hub change to modem mode power off hub for 2mins turn on and unplug replug the Ethernet cable till you get internet then connect PC to your router login find MAC clone option to copy your PC MAC to router then connect router WAN port to hub.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Router model is Nighthawk X6 R8000

Hi @l_pboro0096

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry for my confusion, if the hub is in router mode is the light red?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply from me, I pretty much gave up a few weeks ago but I need to sort this out so I am back again!

The Hub works perfectly fine in Router Mode, it's when I put it into Modem Mode that the red light comes on and I have to then manually factory reset it to get it back up and running again.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When in modem mode the Hub3’s LED is magenta, this can look red to a lot of people and also as the hubs age the LEDs tend to go towards red from magent.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor thanks for the reply, I have read about other people's issues which are similar to mine and how the LED goes red after prolonged use but in their cases they are still getting an internet connection.

For me once the Hub is in Modem mode I have tried going to 192.168.100.1 but it doesn't work; it says there's no internet connection. Also once I connect my Netgear Router to the Hub in modem mode it also says connected but no internet connection, that's why I'm thinking there might be an issue with the Hub.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello l_pboro0096.

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your Hub.

Have you tried a pin hole reset?
I can look into this for you if that doesn't work 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"For me once the Hub is in Modem mode I have tried going to 192.168.100.1 but it doesn't work"
You MUST follow these instructions:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2