Menu
e112890
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 Ethernet is not working with laptops or powerline adaptors

Hello,

When we moved to a new house last week, we moved our VM account as well. All the settings went well and the wireless is perfect in the same room with the router. 

On the upper floor, the opposite side of the house, the wireless is poor. I asked the VM technician about the situation and he told me that it may be because of some blockers, white goods etc.

I tried to use powerline adaptors, bought 2 different brands(tplink, BT) to test it but it didn't work. Then I realised that the ethernet connection can not be established with the router.

Later, I tested the ethernet connection with 3-4 different cables and 2 different laptops but they don't work. But at the same time, my TV uses the ethernet port and it's working.

All restarting, resettings are tested but ethernet with laptop or powerlines adaptors is not working but ethernet with TV is working. 

Is it the software in the router like this or is there a problem with the router(HUB 3)

Need help, have a great day

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 Ethernet is not working with laptops or powerline adaptors

Hi there 

Sounds like a peculiar problem you are having.

Before you do anything try a factory reset on the router

look on the back of the router until you see the words reset there will be a small pinhole next to it.

With the router switched ON Use a cocktail stick/long pin and push and hold the button inside the pinhole for 20-30 seconds. Then release

Give the router 10 minutes to establish a connection and download its settings and updates.

Try again  with just 1 device connected via ethernet port 1

Do the lights show up on the cbale on the actual port of the router?

If not do a loop back test> ie take your ethernet cable and plug both ends into the ports 1&2 then do 2&3, 3&4  - again do the lights show up? on the cable ends plugged into the router.

If not - try a different cable... same results?

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub3 500mb speedtest.net result 22 Jan 2021 = 550mb down / 36mb up Ping 12
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Try a 60 second pinhole reset 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
e112890
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your help.

I already did these as I mentioned in my post.

Resetting, testing with different laptops and cables, all are tried but doesn't working.

I didn't try to use the same cable to connect port 1&2 or 2&3 or others and no lights are seen again.

The only scenario where the ethernet port is working is when you connect the TV ethernet cable to any of the ports, it's working. So I don't think there is a ethernet socket problem.

Can the HUB3 routers of VM be arranged like this, only for TV ethernet usage? 

Note: VM chat is not effective to understand your problem, asks the same questions again and again + call centre waiting queue is more than 45 minutes(tested) + there is no possible way to find a VM person to help.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All I can think of is your TV will have a 10/100 (100Mbps) ethernet adapater, and I would assume all your other devices are Gigabit, which your HUB could be struggling with due to being faulty?

Do you have a switch you could try between the HUB and one of the devices not currently working?

0 Kudos
e112890
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

All I can think of is your TV will have a 10/100 (100Mbps) ethernet adapater, and I would assume all your other devices are Gigabit, which your HUB could be struggling with due to being faulty? -

----> I'm not sure if I understood correctly but the VM cable coming from the wall goes to a small switch where it distributes the cables to 1:Broadband and the other 2:TV. This should be the standard VM setting, I didn't do anything else. 

Do you have a switch you could try between the HUB and one of the devices not currently working?

---> what do you mean by switch here? I'm connecting one end of the ethernet cable to the back of the HUB and the other to macbook.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

By switch I mean something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LS105G-Desktop-Wallmount-Ethernet/dp/B07RQHL251 

This plugs into the HUB via ethernet and allows fours devices to share the same port, again over ethernet, from the HUB.

If you had a spare one for troubleshooting I would have suggested it.

0 Kudos
e112890
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ohh I understood but I don't have it, unfortunately.

I can buy it of course. 

You suggest this because it may solve the Megabit/Gigabit incompatibility if there is any. Am I correct?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@e112890 wrote:

I can buy it of course. 

You suggest this because it may solve the Megabit/Gigabit incompatibility if there is any. Am I correct?

I'm not suggesting it would resolve the issue. It was more a troubleshooting step if you had an available device.

0 Kudos
e112890
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pearce wrote:

@e112890 wrote:

I can buy it of course. 

I'm not suggesting it would resolve the issue. It was more a troubleshooting step if you had an available device.

I see but I don't have it, unfortunately. Thanks for your help again

0 Kudos