Menu
SirSidney
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 Crashing Regularly

My Hub 3 faiIs to maintain an internet connection & WiFi 1 or 2 times a day. Normally it picks itself up and re-establishes the internet/WiFi after about 30 minutes although sometimes is can take a few hours and sometimes it needs re-booting. If I'm using the internet I re-boot the hub myself immediately and after about 15 minutes the internet & WiFi are back.

I reported this problem to VM support who said I had a lot of devices connected (15 - 5 speakers, 3 other smart devices, 3 phones, 2 ovens, a laptop and a weather station. Is that too much these days?!)  & recommended I switched off the guest network and 5G WiFi and just use 2.4G WiFi. I've done this and it hasn't made any difference, same issue with the internet/WiFi dropping out regularly.

Is the hub faulty? I've tried to get back in contact with VM support but their phone system is not accepting any technical fault calls currently (due to Covid), it just directs you to their website and generic help with is of no use of course.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 Crashing Regularly

No it's not faulty - just cheap and crummy.

Put the hub into modem mode with your own better router or mesh system and be done with it.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
SirSidney
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary,

I did wonder if it was as simple as that! I've already bought a router and set it up as an access point because the WiFi signal from the Hub 3 is so poor (2.4G WiFi limited to about 5m and 5G WiFi even less as well as being slow).

Does switching off the WiFi on the Hub3 make a difference? Or will I just end up with a modem that crashes regularly?!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What router did you buy?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
SirSidney
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The TP-Link Archer C80. It was popular on Amazon and was reasonably priced. It should work with the Hub 3 in modem mode.

I'll have to wait until the weekend, my wife works from home and will kill me if I can't get it working.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes that will work. And you will need to put the hub into modem mode 

0 Kudos