Menu
efw
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 5ghz missing

Hi folks,
The last few days our Hub3 has been playing up with client disconnects. Today, the 5ghz signal totally disappeared. I’ve rebooted the Hub3, enabled/disabled 5ghz, factory reset via the dashboard.
After a factory reset via the dashboard, the 5ghz was active, but that only lasted a few mins, then disappeared again.
Is there anything I can try, a firmware fix? New Hub3?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 5ghz missing

Try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection - n.b.- the UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) gives the best chance of getting through quickly.

Try this though...

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.

5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
efw
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, many thanks for your reply. I called Virgin on the 0345 number got through a nice lady who, sadly could not run a test on my connection, as their diagnostic systems have been down since last night and that I should call back later this evening.

Anyway, I had already changed my ssid's prior to the missing network issue, to the imaginative names of VM50 (5ghz) and VM24 2.4ghz). However, I have now disabled channel optimisation, which I had not done before. Having rebooted the Hub3, there has been no difference, still missing the 5ghz network. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK - there have been some reports of the Hub3 showing wifi SSID issues post a Firmware update and changing the SSID to "1" - so you dont see it.

Might not be relevant of course

I suggest a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 10’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

You will have to redo the SSID naming and channel optimisation of course

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
efw
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi again John, done the pinhole reset, re-added the VM24 and VM50 networks, so far, touch wood, the 5ghz network is still here. Fingers crossed it stays. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos