cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3.0 modem mode CS9996

AliHurworth
Joining in

Hi all

I have a Hub3.0 running in modem mode. Its connected to a TP Link router through an Ethernet cable. Im trying to connect the 360 box to the superhub but get error CS9996. Any idea why? Do I need to get another ethernet cable to connect the TP Link router to the 360?

There is also the option to add a TP Link range extender. This has an ethernet connection but does not seem to fix it - I read elsewhere that only a router can be connected to the Hub in modem mode, not sure if that's right

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

@AliHurworth wrote:

Hi all

I have a Hub3.0 running in modem mode. Its connected to a TP Link router through an Ethernet cable. Im trying to connect the 360 box to the superhub but get error CS9996. Any idea why? Do I need to get another ethernet cable to connect the TP Link router to the 360?

There is also the option to add a TP Link range extender. This has an ethernet connection but does not seem to fix it - I read elsewhere that only a router can be connected to the Hub in modem mode, not sure if that's right

That code indicates that your TV360 box has no internet connection.

In modem mode the only thing connected to the Hub should be your router - all your devices, including Virgin TV boxes, should connect to the router for their internet services (The TP Link Router).  The hub is only acting as a modem when in modem mode.  It only has one port Ethernet active.

If you have a Virgin Media landline then that will probably also connect to the hub using the telephone port, which is on the Virgin Media side of the hub.

You need to connect the 360 to the TP Link router, preferably with an Ethernet cable, though WiFi can also be used.

In addition, for live TV, there should be a Virgin Media coax cable to the TV360.  Often that comes off a splitter so the Hub and Virgin TV box share the same incoming cable from the street.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect the 360 box to the TP Link router
---------------------------------------------------------------

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @AliHurworth 

The TV360 needs to be connected to the VM coaxiao cable to receive live TV.

The following link shows how to check yuor connections

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/cs9996 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

g0akc
Problem sorter

@AliHurworth wrote:

Hi all

That code indicates that your TV360 box has no internet connection.

In modem mode the only thing connected to the Hub should be your router - all your devices, including Virgin TV boxes, should connect to the router for their internet services (The TP Link Router).  The hub is only acting as a modem when in modem mode.  It only has one port Ethernet active.

If you have a Virgin Media landline then that will probably also connect to the hub using the telephone port, which is on the Virgin Media side of the hub.

You need to connect the 360 to the TP Link router, preferably with an Ethernet cable, though WiFi can also be used.

In addition, for live TV, there should be a Virgin Media coax cable to the TV360.  Often that comes off a splitter so the Hub and Virgin TV box share the same incoming cable from the street.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks all. As a test I brought the TP Link router down to the Hub, and then ran the longer ethernet cable to the office and connected it to the PC directly. It works! The main problem I have is that it looks like I'd need to run another cable the other way (to the TV, next to the Hub) to make this work. So I think I'll leave it there and buy a network switch for the office.