cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub whistles like a kettle in the evening

Mambo170
Tuning in

We started to hear a short whistling sound, a bit like an old fashioned kettle whistle, every evening for the last couple of weeks. It happens normally from around 9 pm. It is very short and intermittent. We switched everything off one evening one item at a time and discovered it is coming from the hub. Anyone else having this?

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, sometimes electronic devices give of sounds.  It's usually the PSU, not the Hub.  But if it is the Hub, then there is not much you can do except ring up and ask for a replacement Hub?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Mambo170,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having some trouble with a noise that your router is making. Are you having any other trouble with the router at all, such as connection issues, or is it only the intermittent sound that seems to be the problem?

Can you also expand on the sound? How loud is it and how long does it last?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

It's the new Hub 5x Zach. To compensate for the lack of modem mode VM has incorporated a teasmade. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Zach_R wrote:

Can you also expand on the sound? How loud is it and how long does it last?

Are you just going to torture the person with questions or you plan to send a new hub out?🙄

---------------------------------------------------------------

Internet had been going a bit glitchy. We had an update that there were issues in the area and would be fixed overnight 5-6 December. The glitchiness seems to have stopped. The whistling sound lasts for around 10 seconds at the most and loud and high pitched enough to be heard over a blaring telly. 

At the very least it is a risk to your hearing and therefore unsafe and should be immediately replaced. Call it in as a fault. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Its the hype train whistling, Cho, Cho

Pardon?

Hi Mambo170

Thanks for letting us know. 

I've dropped you a message so we can arrange for the Hub to be replaced.

Thanks,

Beth