Menu
howden9
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hub to router cable advice please

Afternoon, just a quick question but are there any do's and don't when buying a cable to connect my hub to a router? 

e.g. minimum size of cable (interference?) or a certain category of cable?

Thank you

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub to router cable advice please

The Hub connects to a router by a standard ethernet cable Cat5e/6/7/8 will all work (dont use Cat5) - cat6 and above usually have better shielding from interference (check specs) and "solid core" is better too. But all should be fine - keep the runs as short as possible but up to 50 metres should be fine

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
SkipperOdyssey
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

When you say connect a Hub to a Router, are you putting the Virgin Media Hub in to "Modem Mode" and then connecting that to your own Router?

If so, I would say you should opt for a Cat 6 Ethernet cable.  Also, if the Hub is in "Modem Mode", you need to connect one end of the Ethernet Cable to Port 4 of the Virgin Media Hub as this is the only one that will work in Modem Mode.

The length of the Ethernet cable doesn't really matter unless you are talking a really long cable!

Hope this helps.

🙂

Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Depends on expected speed, distance, environmental conditions, and so on. 

If your taking the cable outside (to go upstairs for example) you need a different class of cable than one you would use for internal use.

If you only need to go half a meter then cat5e will be plenty, but cat6 cables don't cost that much more and gives you more future proofing. 

howden9
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice.

Might be an stupid question but is there any reason why this wouldn't work - only 25cm to keep things neat and is cat6

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/computing/components-upgrades/cables-adaptors-power/cables-d...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Cheap tat (Unshielded twisted pair design)  but will work. Look at Amazon's selection even their basics range will be better.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's fine.
Also just to be pedantic, the maximum working length of gigabit ethernet is up to 100 metres. 🙂

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

Cheap tat (Unshielded twisted pair design)  but will work. Look at Amazon's selection even their basics range will be better.

But for 25cm, I think it'll do fine 🙂 

Now if it was 10 meters, I'd agree. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

OK - but its unshielded and therefore prone to crosstalk and electrical interference. That should have been made standard on the Cat6 spec - but I dont think it was. It needs to state it. It needs Cat6e? or Cat7 to be "standard".

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-ethernet-cables-3671060/

Also - 8 wire twisted - I wouldnt want to bend it too often

--------------------
John
--------------------

Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

<snip>   Also - 8 wire twisted - I wouldnt want to bend it too often

I think the wires between my modems and Router have not been moved for many years ......  😉

0 Kudos