Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub settings with switch

A managed switch is only used for working with network traffic. ie creating network segments with different VLAN's, prioritising network traffic from/to specific devices by using QoS. I work for a large MSP and of all the people that work within my teams, maybe only 2 that use managed switches in their home set up. why? because they can, they have the knowledge and can configure them, however, this is only due to the inner geek and not actually due to the requirement.

I run a few 5 port TP-Link switches in my house that all connect into my Netgear x10 in my home office with my Hub4 in modem mode. I run 10Gbe on my home PC because the x10 has a 10Gbe port as does my QNAP NAS, again, its due to the inner geek and not due to the requirement.

If you are not going to be segregating traffic or prioritising bandwidth for devices then a simple dumb switch will see you right. As for the router, that's going to be down to the requirement again. If you don't need specifics that the VM equipment cant do, then no need to change that out either. Depending if you are within your returns period, you might want to look at that route to ensure you get 100% of your cash back rather than taking a loss selling it.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 12 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you for the detailed response, I really appreciate it.

I have probably had the S8000 for 6months or more and have noticed the 4K streaming issue a couple of times.

I think the best option for now is just to plug the TV, Xbox, WiFi extender directly into the Hub3 and leave the hive and V6 connected to the switch. 

At some point I will look to just replace the switch with a basic unmanaged switch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Good 8-port models are usually <£20.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 14 of 34
Flag for a moderator

For now I have just plugged all directly into the Hub3 and left the hive disconnected. Not really needed at the moment anyway

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 15 of 34
Flag for a moderator

This may be a placebo but I have just watched one planet on Netflix in 4K and the picture quality is pretty amazing.

could the picture quality of been capped by the switch dropping down to HD rather than 4K?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I can tell you now that the Nighthawk S8000 is worthless!

Stop using the hub in router mode and use it in modem mode and get a better router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 17 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The S8000 is now already listed on eBay lol.

What is the benefit from the 1GB ports? What does the standard Hub3 have in comparison? Is it worth trying to get a Hub4 from virgin?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Getting a router with 1Gb vs 100Mb mean when VM ups your speed so can a 1Gb router use it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 19 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a recommendation on router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 34
Flag for a moderator

You could get a Mesh or just the one with a switch
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-WSR30-EU0201F-MULTY-AC2100-TRI-BAND/dp/B07M92TT95/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1...
or a router
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MU-MIMO-Wireless-StreamBoost-Beamforming-Antennas/dp/B01GHAWAFY/ref=sr_1_7?...

others may post other brands I use Zyxel USG/VPN routers