Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hub on permanent red light but broadband is fine

As mentioned in the subject title, the light towards the bottom of the hub is red, not flashing, it's been like that since I woke up this morning but the broadband's fine, wifi is good too. 

I've searched for answer, apparently it means the hub is overheating but it's been in the same place the technician who installed it left it which is the coolest place in my lounge not far from a boxed-in cold pipe and has lots of space around it.

I read other threads and some have tried turning off and on and resetting it but I don't necessarily want to do something to the Hub that I don't need to considering the broadband's fine.

Grateful for your advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub on permanent red light but broadband is fine

Are you running in modem mode with your own router attached ?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I don't think so, no-one has changed any setting to the hub put it in any different mode to how it's always been when it's displaying a white permanent light..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Me again - the light is still showing red. I have turned it off and on again to no avail.It goes through the different lights and then reverts back to the solid red light.

I appreciate that VM people's attention will be directed more towards those with faults, I just would be grateful for some quick direction that I have nowt to worry about, or of a possible fix I can do, or to sit tight with it for the time being and come back to the forum in a couple days. I just don't want to think it's ok and then wake up in the morning to something worse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Is it just the hub that you connect to, you don't have your own router plugged in?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry carl, we turned off the router again for longer so I had no connection.

To answer your question, it is just the hub, no other router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just to be 100% sure could you access your router on http://192.168.0.1 use the password on the base of the hub, unless you've already changed it, and navigate to the 'Modem Mode' option on the left.

Is 'Enable Router Mode' checked?

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Carl. Weirdly when I add the password, it's not recognised..... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you've entered the password previously you are forced to change it to something else, which is why it may not be working.

I'm unsure if you've changed any other settings on the router since owning it however it's worth doing a full reset (hold in button on rear of hub for at least 10 seconds) which will reset everything, including password.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

This is the first time I or anyone in my family have had a need to access the settings, so it's the first time I've used the password. 

I will have to look about resetting it tomorrow after work. Thanks for your help carl.

0 Kudos