Menu
dog-man
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hub in modem mode question

I have my hub in modem mode with an Asus AC3200 router. It works fine.

However, I am trying to upgrade to a new router, and I am having problems getting an internet connection.

The router is an Asus GT-AX11000 straight out of the box. It allows me to input the SSID, the new password for router access and security password but will go no further and there is no internet connection. I am hoping rebooting the hub / modem will sort this out.

My question is, if I power down the hub which is in modem mode, when it powers back up, will it still be in modem mode or do I need to go into settings again?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub in modem mode question

Yep, rebooting the hub should sort things out so long as nothing is attached when you power down, and when powered up only the new router is attached.  it will come back up in modem mode, and the reason you may be struggling is that the hub "locks" the first MAC address it finds each time it restarts in modem mode, so you can't do "hot plug and play".

Incidentally, it is a good idea to restart a hub every so often, as that clears the error counts and the internal memory.  Mine's in modem mode, with a timer that turns it off through the small hours every night, with no problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dog-man
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, Thank you.

I won't be able to power down until grandson goes to nursery as he is watching his beloved 'PJ Masks'. 🙂

I have a spare timer so will set one up to power the hub down every night.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Using a timer works well for me, make sure that:

A) You know how to over-ride it manually for the few times you need to.

B) Set off time sufficiently late that it shouldn't normally be an issue.

C) Set on time for the earliest you'd ever need it, and allow for the ten minutes it takes for a Hub to get it's act together.

For a modest overnight off period this will only save about £6-10 a year, but still better than throwing it away running a hub when you're not using it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Apparently the best way to set up your own router is:
1. Navigate to 192.168.0.1
2. Log in to the Hub
3. Go to 'Modem mode' (on the left) and put the hub into modem mode
4. Wait until the bottom light on the Hub turns magenta / red (can take about 5 minutes)
5. Turn off the Hub
6. Power on and set up your new router as per the manufacturers instructions
7. Plug an ethernet cable (usually supplied with the new router) from port 1 on the Hub into the WAN (usually blue) socket on the new Router
8. Power on the Hub and wait about 5-10 minutes until it stabilises - You should have internet!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@lotharmat wrote:
2. Log in to the Hub
4. Wait until the bottom light on the Hub turns magenta / red (can take about 5 minutes)
5. Turn off the Hub
7. Plug an ethernet cable (usually supplied with the new router) from port 1 on the Hub into the WAN (usually blue) socket on the new Router
8. Power on the Hub and wait about 5-10 minutes until it stabilises - You should have internet!

That's fine if the hub isn't already in Modem Mode 🙂

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
dog-man
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

New router now working fine.
Now to flash custom firmware and finish set up.

Very grateful for the advice.
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

@lotharmat wrote:
2. Log in to the Hub
5. Turn off the Hub

That's fine if the hub isn't already in Modem Mode 🙂

You are, of course right - I neglected to delete 1-4

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

<snip>  Incidentally, it is a good idea to restart a hub every so often, as that clears the error counts and the internal memory.  Mine's in modem mode, with a timer that turns it off through the small hours every night, with no problems.

I never reboot my Hub, it's in Modem mode as were all the other previous Hub's from VM.

Unless there is a remote reboot by VM, or a power outage, it stays on, and I've yet to have any problems with the Hub.  In saying that, my circuit is usually very good 99.9% of the time.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Agreed there's no point in rebooting the hub - surely you want to see any potential error counts rather than have them cleared off all the time.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi