Menu
GC48
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub Upgrade - Original Super Hub to Hub 3

Just recently my network connection has been dropping out - a 60 second "turn it off and turn it back on again" has worked, but is inconvenient, especially if interrupting meetings.

Checking issues online, Virgin Media informed me that I was due a free Hub upgrade.

Checking, it said I should be on Hub 3.  I must admit I didn;t even know there was a Hub 2 let alone a 3.  I've been with "Virgin" since the Telewest days and evolved from there and still have a standard old Super Hub.

Trying to upgrade online, I just get the message "Sorry, you can't do this online".

I guess this is because I have been with them so long, but shouldn't that be a reason to be better treated ?

Also, this offered Hub upgrade, which wasn't actually allowed by the system, also said I should have additional equipment to enable internal wi-fi working throughout the house.  Again, how do I get this extra equipment.

I tried phoning the 0345 number, but this just leads down a blind alley and I never get to actually speak to someone.

How do I get the Hub upgrade ? .... is there anyone listening who can help ??

GC.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub Upgrade - Original Super Hub to Hub 3

I've flagged that for a staff response, they should be able to get a Hub 3 posted out to you.  The online upgrade form is a regular source of complaint, we suspect because it's backed into VM's systems and if you're on a legacy speed/contract, it can't cope.

If that is the case, then you might want to take your life in your hands, and phone up to get on a better value deal.  Phoning first thing Saturday or Sunday morning is probably a good time to get through, before the masses have got out of bed.  150 from a VM landline, and then select options for "about my account" and "thinking of leaving".

Some hints here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/can-you-downgrade-package-without-using-the...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if the upgrade link didn't work for you, and you don't want to waste your time on the phone, you can wait around here for a few days and the forum staff will eventually get to it and arrange a new hub to be shipped out.

as for the rest of it - all of the hubs have really poor wifi signal - you may find it works ok for you, but i would prepare to be underwhelmed.. if you're on an ultimate oomph package, or the 1gig service then VM will provide a "wifi pod" (which is their wireless mesh offering) for free, otherwise they cost £5 per month.. if you're not eligible to have them for free then you're better off buying your own wifi gear..  

edit: @andruser beat me to it 🙂

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @GC48

Welcome  to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - sorry that you're having some issues with your broadband at the moment. We can indeed see you have one of our older Hubs, but when checking it from here, it looks to be in perfect working order.

There are no errors listed, no area issues and all signal levels are where they should be.

However, we can certainly look at getting your account upgraded to one of our newer hubs if you are seeing that message online and having some issues.  I'll pop you a quick Private Message so we can go through some checks with you and go through security.

Please do check for a Purple Envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Glad that we've been able to help you out today @GC48

Been a pleasure assisting you and if you need any help with your new hub, please do pop back to the public thread and myself or the Community will be more than happy to help you out. 

Hope you have a great weekend - stay safe. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
GC48
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Behind the scenes of this thread Katie_WT has does a terrific job with clear and informative messages and instruction.

I can't praise her professionalism enough and hope the the team behind her appreciate her excellent qualities in dealing with customers.

Thank you Katie and team.

0 Kudos