Menu
Peppers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hub Replacement

Hello all 

I am wanting to replace my Hub. I have checked service status and all is at full strength. The Hub will just drop signal and I have to restart it. Is there any way I can get one online or do you have to ring? The time waiting on the line is usually an hour.... Has anyone bought their own (not a Virgin one) and if so which type and price?

Cheers 

Lee

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub Replacement

@Peppers wrote:

Hello all 

I am wanting to replace my Hub. I have checked service status and all is at full strength. The Hub will just drop signal and I have to restart it. Is there any way I can get one online or do you have to ring? The time waiting on the line is usually an hour.... Has anyone bought their own (not a Virgin one) and if so which type and price?

Cheers 

Lee

You can’t completely eliminate the hub, you have to use it but you can use it in modem mode with your own 3rd party router providing wireless and gateway services etc..

Need a bit more detail to understand what the issue is... is it just wireless signal that is dropping?

0 Kudos
Peppers
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there 

Thanks for your response. It will be working fine and then my fone will drop the WiFi signal and also my smart TV too. There is nothing wrong with either fone or TV as other WiFi works no problem. As I said I have checked service status and it's been fine on the website no service problems. I foned virgin today and they checked my connection and said the router needed re starting which I did, and all fine up to now but I have done what they told me 5 times already in the last 5 days.

Cheers 

Lee

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

do you have any devices that you can test how a wired connection works?  The hub is notoriously bad as a wifi router, but if cabled connections are working ok then you have options (that will cost) to remedy the issues with wifi. 

Peppers
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help/reply.

Yes I have something wired to it that has no issues with connection. 

Would a WiFi booster plug be worthwhile? Or what do you recommend?

Cheers 

Lee

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Peppers wrote:

Thanks for your help/reply.

Yes I have something wired to it that has no issues with connection. 

Would a WiFi booster plug be worthwhile? Or what do you recommend?

Cheers 

Lee

wifi extenders / powerline adapters are probably the worst option. i wouldn't recommend them.

If you're happy that wired connections work well then i'd consider/recommend a better wireless router or a mesh system - which of these options largely depends on what you want from a device and how much you want to spend..

a good quality router will provide a reliable connection, but there's a limit to how far it will transmit a signal.. mesh systems, at least at the lower end, are more about providing a strong wireless signal to a larger area but at the cost of overall performance.. you can mitigate the performance hit by spending a lot more money.. but that goes back to the budget question.. 

0 Kudos
Peppers
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, I will have a look into it. Re new router, I would have to still use the hub as a modem? Also any personal recommendation s on a new router? 

Thanks again 

Lee 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Peppers wrote:

Thanks again, I will have a look into it. Re new router, I would have to still use the hub as a modem? Also any personal recommendation s on a new router? 

Yup - still have to use the hub as a modem.

ASUS and TP-Link devices get a good write-up around here - Zyxel is another option, as are Netgear and D-Link. 

I don't use any of the above though - so can't really recommend anything specific. 

0 Kudos
Peppers
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello again 

Do I have to "switch" to modem mode on the hub? To use a router, if so how do you do it?

Thanks for you're continued help.

Lee

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Peppers wrote:

Hello again 

Do I have to "switch" to modem mode on the hub? To use a router, if so how do you do it?

Yes, there's a sequence in which you need to do things.. once you have your new router you need to:

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode
The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down
Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub
Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system
Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down
Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working.

0 Kudos