Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hub Cabling

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get an answer for a little while regarding what to do about the cabling that connects to my hub.

It's extremely short (see image below), and means my hub is on the floor in a corner of the house. I'd like to be able to situate it somewhere higher, and hopefully improve WiFi reach.

I've posted a few times on twitter, and text the recommended number a few times but not had a response to the texts I was told to send.

Hopefully someone here can help me out! WiFi has been a bit spotty further in the house over the past 6-7 months. Reset things, "optimised" the WiFi, but nothing has really helped. Not sure what else to do. Followed the steps advised, but can't move the hub.

Any advice or assistance would be welcome.

20200818_204751.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub Cabling

VM will move it for you where you want for a non-fault call out charge of £99. That includes all new cabling and then re-balancing the signal levels.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You may as well spend the money on upgrading what appears to be a powerline adapter with one that includes Wifi:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B0723C86CX?th=1 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That's a very poor installation - VM technicians should know that corner locations often result in poor wifi, and allow sufficient cable to move it two or three metres (though that does mean you may have to carefully coil and cable tie any spare length).

The £99 "non fault call out charge" seems utterly unreasonable to supply and plug in coax cable that VM's procurement department will be buying in huge volumes for about 4p a metre.  I'll flag your post for the forum staff, see if they can get a longer cable sent out to you.  If that doesn't happen, then you should raise it as a formal complaint about the quality of the installation with VM, although that will be slower.  If it comes to that, search, read and follow the Virgin Media Consumer Complaints Code of Practice.

Do not be persuaded to rent VM's wireless boosters - they're very poor value.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

however, one assumes that the customer was happy with the installation location at the time of install.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What speed broadband do you have? I ask because if it's 100mbps then you can get a far more reliable installation by leaving the hub where it is, putting it in modem mode and acquiring your own WiFi router for about £35-50 which can be anywhere you want as it'll be connected by ethernet cable. 

Or you can get an engineer to move the Virgin box for you, but IMO, you'll still have WiFi issues as that box is just bad at WiFi. 

(If your Internet is faster than 100mbps, you may want a more expensive router to ensure to take advantage of your full speed) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

i wouldn't advise anyone by a wifi router that costs "£35-£50" as it's likely to be junk.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Did you not get the original standard length of cable with the hub? I asked them to shorten my cable as it was ridiculously long and cut me a new piece while dealing with a fault. I still have the original cable incase I decide to move it.

——————————————— My Broadband Ping - Virgin 200mb Home Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:
i wouldn't advise anyone by a wifi router that costs "£35-£50" as it's likely to be junk.

Agreed the more you spend the better the product and its horses for courses in your property,  but this  £45 Tenda is a good basic router...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC10U-1200Mbps-Dual-band-Power-saving/dp/B07C7Y9G96/

And it pleased this customer...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-Issues-resolved/td-p/4251813/pag...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

but IMO, you'll still have WiFi issues as that box is just bad at WiFi. 

.....not sure why people always say the Hub 3 is 'bad at wifi'??  My Hub 3's wifi (both 2.5ghz and 5ghz signal) reaches all parts of my 3 bedroom semi detached house and goes part way on my front driveway and also half way up my 25 metre long garden!