cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5

Swifty79
Tuning in

I'm just wondering what you have to do to get a Hub 5 as they've been out for a while now and where/are offered as a free upgrade. I signed up for the mailing list to get one but never heard anything so I was wondering how you get one.

I currently have the Hub 4 and Gig Fibre.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Do you have a need for the 2.5Gb port? VM can't get upgrade everyone they need to think about others with older hubs. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Do you have a need for the 2.5Gb port? VM can't get upgrade everyone they need to think about others with older hubs. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Swifty79,

Thanks for your post and enquiry about the Hub 5.

As you have a Hub 4, we wouldn't automatically upgrade you as the hub you have is capable of running on the 1 GB service. 

You can speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they can see if you are able to upgrade but please bear in mind there is usually a cost for this. 

Let us know how the call goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes. For both the 2.5gb port and WiFi 6.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi again Swifty79, thanks for the replies and for confirming these for us.

Have you spoken to our team yet about upgrading to hub 5 as Kath_F has suggested above?

You may also view more info on how to do this here, please let us know if you need more help with this and how you get on.

Adri
Forum Team

How do I get a Hub 5. I currently have a Hub 3 and want to get the 1gig at some point as I work from home and need a faster upload speed than I get with the 500 I am currently on. As long as it still supports the phone line, as my Hub 3 is providing my landline as well as broadband. The Hub 3 needs a reset at least once a month as I seem to have a few issues with connections, then works ok for 3-4 weeks before problems start cropping up. I have a 1gig wired network at home and use access points to give me coverage. Wonder if the Hub5 might improve the coverage compared to the Hub3, which is pretty poor.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy !

If you're using external access points connected via Ethernet, then Hub5 will not make any difference.  If you also use the Hub5 WiFi & access points as extenders, then yes it should be better, but this depends on your overall WiFi setup.

Hub3 shouldn't need regular resets provided it has the latest firmware loaded.  This should happen at boot time, but best way to be sure is to factory reset & see if the CMTS updates it.

FYI, Contrary to popular belief, the Hub3 can support 1G, but VM simply don't want to - hence you need a Hub4 or Hub5.. 

Not sure about the Phone port on Hub5.  My local area still uses twisted pair for landline !

Hi @colin324 

Welcome back to our community forums.

We are glad to see you are interested in our hub 5 and want to do our best to help. Was the advice given by  @pete_at_home helpful?  You can also check if you are eligible for an upgrade here https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub Please note, upgrading the hub may trigger a new 18-month contract with us.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

DerbyGig
On our wavelength

I am also looking to upgrade my Hub 4 to Hub5, I currently have a home network running from the hub 4 to 3 bedrooms and the hub5 2.5gb port would be a big help. But paying for something that does not belong to you does not make sense, surely as a 1gb fibre customer and a customer of over 20years should yield some loyalty recognition?

@DerbyGig wrote:

I am also looking to upgrade my Hub 4 to Hub5, I currently have a home network running from the hub 4 to 3 bedrooms and the hub5 2.5gb port would be a big help. But paying for something that does not belong to you does not make sense, surely as a 1gb fibre customer and a customer of over 20years should yield some loyalty recognition?

No chance!